Other Half

by Jordan Castillo Price

Series: PsyCop (12)

Fiction. Literature. Romance. LGBTQIA+ (Fiction.) HTML:

Victor Bayne never saw himself as husband material, but after an undercover stint as half of a married couple, he's willing to give it a shot. Jacob Marks was eager to settle down from the get-go, so once Vic popped the question, the wedding should've been smooth sailing.

But new evidence has come to light that casts a pall over the whole affair: decades of psychic experimentation and intrigue. Vic would hardly be shocked to discover he's been an unwitting test subject, but it's not his name on the roster.

It's Jacob's.
Planning a wedding on short notice is challenging enough without a covert investigation. Vic can deal with premarital counseling, floral emergencies, and the world's most annoying bakerâ??but can he handle what he finds out about his other half?

PsyCop is an ongoing series filled with supernatural action and delightfully awkward humorâ??with a steady undercurrent of gay romance. It's best read in order, so if you're new to the series, start with PsyCop #1, Among the Living...and prepare for a hauntingly good read… (more)

Original read: 06/2022
Re-read (audio): 03/2024
Loved! And I have so many questions! Is Clayton going to turn out psychic? Is Krimski alive? And also, is Vic related to Father Paul? I know he himself dismissed it, but I can't get the thought out of my head, I'm thinking grandfather.
Narration was 10/10, as always. ( )
  NannyOgg13 | Apr 4, 2024 |
Vic never disappoints, but Vic and Jacob? Perfection. The dual task of trying to solve Jacob's puzzle and dealing with the many, many details of a wedding, including couples counseling--and that is just flat-out clever, author--keeps the plot surprising. Loved it. Awaiting #13. :) ( )
  terriaminute | Dec 4, 2022 |
When I read the first few books in this series, I thought for sure we'd be constantly be bombarded with images of Vic and Jacob's bedroom scenes. Over the years though, JCP has constantly upped her game and storytelling abilities and given us a pair of truly fascinating characters to follow. The relationship has grown beyond what I expected in those first few books, and they've become one of my favorite pairings.

This story is nice. We not only get to learn more about Jacob's family, but their acceptance of Vic into their family is really heartwarming. He needs that in his life, even if he's not too sure about the idea. Barbara, Jacob's sister, could have been quite irritating and intrusive, but other than being abrasive at times, she really is helpful in getting details dealt with for the upcoming nuptials. Red and Crash's help at the right time keep things on track too.

If I didn't know there was another book in the works, this would have been a good send off for Vic and Jacob, but let's be honest here - I want to know more about all the shenanigans going on when these two were still kids and the psy-program they were both a part of. The book that causes so much stress in this story has added a lot of questions, but we did get some answers too, which was nice (and fit in with the whole Cold War paradigm, or at least some of the weirder aspects of it, at the time). So, where will Ms. Price take our favorite Psycops next? ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
They go to premarriage counseling and have to pick out a cake. The most character driven of the books so far and I enjoyed it greatly. ( )
  BrielM | Mar 1, 2022 |
As always, I love Vic and Jacob. This was an interesting combination between them trying to discover more about Jacob's past and the shadowy agency that might have been involved in it and the wedding planning. There was a lot of back and forth between the two plot lines which kept it interesting. The one scene I enjoyed the most was when the pastor set up a "communication exercise" which Vic and Jacob totally nailed with no issues (much to Ms. Pastor's surprise). It made me laugh.

Not too many ghosts here for Vic to interact with but overall a good story. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Feb 19, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

PsyCop (12)
Weddings are joyous occasions.

Fiction. Literature. Romance. LGBTQIA+ (Fiction.) HTML:

It's Jacob's.

Victor Bayne never saw himself as husband material, but after an undercover stint as half of a married couple, he’s willing to give it a shot. Jacob Marks was eager to settle down from the get-go, so once Vic popped the question, the wedding should’ve been smooth sailing.

But new evidence has come to light that casts a pall over the whole affair: decades of psychic experimentation and intrigue. Vic would hardly be shocked to discover he’s been an unwitting test subject, but it’s not his name on the roster.

It’s Jacob’s.

Planning a wedding on short notice is challenging enough without a covert investigation. Vic can deal with premarital counseling, floral emergencies, and the world’s most annoying baker—but can he handle what he finds out about his other half?

Jordan Castillo Price is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,186,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible