The Fall of Hyperion (GollanczF.) by Dan…

The Fall of Hyperion (GollanczF.) (original 1989; edition 2005)

by Dan Simmons (Author)

Series: Hyperion Cantos (2)

5,771991,349 (4.09)1 / 89
In the continuation of the epic adventure begun in Hyperion, the far future is resplendent with drama and invention. On the world of Hyperion, the mysterious Time Tombs are opening. And the secrets they contain mean that nothing--nothing anywhere in the universe--will ever be the same.
Member:Lenamusic123
Title:The Fall of Hyperion (GollanczF.)
Authors:Dan Simmons (Author)
Info:Gateway (2005), Edition: 01, 544 pages

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

English (94)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (98)
A mostly satisfying follow up to [b:Hyperion|77566|Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)|Dan Simmons|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1405546838s/77566.jpg|1383900]. I liked the story itself quite a bit, and was pleasantly surprised by the various twists presented throughout. I thought that the change in narrative structure from the previous Canterbury Tales method was a bit... contrived, but I found that it worked best when I just didn't dwell on it too much.
While there was quite a bit of resolution to most of the story elements from this and the previous book, there was still a couple of outstanding questions that I'd have liked to have answers to:
- What is the Shrike? What exactly is it's purpose? Who made it? Is it really gone (considering the cover art for the next books, I'm going to guess NO)? What was it planning on doing with the infant Rachel?
- How was Brawne able to kill/shatter the Shrike with just a touch?
- What happened to the Thorn Tree and all of the victims?
- The labrythnine tunnels - uhhh... everything about them: origin, purpose, etc.

Hopefully the next books will answer these for me!

A note on the audiobook reading: Overall, the narrator did a great job, giving the different characters just enough difference to tell them apart but not taking on any ludicrous accents to do so. The only criticism I had was that halfway through the book he started pronouncing Lusus and Lusian differently than he did in the first half or was pronounced in the first book. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
This book was a slog to read. The first in the series was a series of short stories told by characters on a journey, like Canterbury Tales. Each story was seemingly independent and self contained and at the same time giving us an overview of the universe it was set in. The planet it was set on was the home of the Time Tombs and the Shrike. These seemed to behave outside the laws of physics and allowed some of the more magical events in the stories to come true. I enjoyed the first book immensely.

This second book takes the characters from the first book and jumps around among them giving their points of view. It also jumps to new characters in the larger universe. If the jumps were between two or even three characters it would have been tolerable but there are more than a half dozen. It gets tedious very quickly. Each cutaway tries to leave a little mini cliffhanger, I guess to build suspense but they fail to do so. However, I have to hand it to the author. All the stories from the previous book are pieces of the greater picture. All are relevant and the two books must have been planned and plotted in advance. The way the previous book seemed like a collection of short stories I thought the author had written one story at a time and then reworked them to share a setting and a framing device. Then I thought, after the first book sold he whipped up a sequel. That could not have happened. The second book takes each element in each story and relates it to a single larger story. All questions are answered and all lose ends are tied up. The author had all this worked out before he published the first book, if not before he composed the first story. The two books tell a larger story that is skillfully told and well written. I just think he could have wrapped things up in 100 pages instead of 517. Or he could have kept the jumping viewpoints to a minimum and it would not have seemed as long. ( )
  mgplavin | Oct 3, 2021 |
Epic! Complex! Not quite as well-formed structurally! Mind-expanding! Emotionally engrossing!

The book began a bit slowly, shedding Hyperion's enjoyable Canterbury Tales format and arranging itself around the new(ish) character Severn, who I initially found not quite as compelling as the pilgrims. However, by the second half of the book, and certainly by the last third, the story lost its aimlessness and regained all of its momentum and then some. The book was impossible to put down near the end, and I thought it resolved everything in a satisfying way, which is quite impressive given the story's massive scale.

Could have done with a few more female characters especially since Rachel and Moneta turned out to be the same person, but Meina Gladstone and Brawne Lamia were pretty great for 1990 sci-fi. ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
I thought Hyperion was grand, but having read the sequel, it feels more like a short story with tunnel vision. Fall of Hyperion is a truly epic space opera, filled to the brim with grand ideas and an execution that just leaves you breathless.

Simmons fleshes out the Web in the book, critiquing how humanity has become a slave to technology. People simply cannot live without the datasphere, and it shocks me how the author had come up with this idea in 1989, long predating the Internet we know today. Everything and everyone is hooked up to the datasphere, making it unimaginable to live daily lives without it. People are also hooked on farcasters - like the portals in Rick & Morty - traveling lightyears in seconds. This has, unsurprisingly, led to a stagnation in science and culture, resulting in humanity losing what made it human.

On top of all this, there's the Ultimate Intelligence and its human counterpart. While these ideas were rather abstract and vague, especially in how they were portrayed with time travel in the mix, they worked pretty well. I do wish it wasn't as wishy-washy as it was, but hey, you can't win everything. The human empathy thing wasn't too clear either, especially in the context of the absurdly confusing time travel in the series.

The action was done well, though, and the Shrike was as terrifying as ever. There are some moments of deus ex machina that are never explained, making the story feel slightly wobbly as a result. But overall, I had a grand time, especially with the ever-so-condescending Ummon, the philosopherly John Keats, and our pilgrims, each of whom was great in their own ways. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
Not a sequel, but the second half of the first book. More conventional storytelling than Hyperion, but in the same tone. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |

Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Keats

Whose Name Was Writ

in Eternity
On the day the armada went off to war, on the last day of life as we know it, I was invited to a party.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,385,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible