The Powwow Mystery: The Powwow Dog

by Joseph Bruchac

941,996,333 (4)None
Follow along as twins Jamie and Marie spend their summer visiting powwows with their grandparents. When a dog steals food and disappears will the twins be able to solve the mystery on where the dog went?

Picture book about two twins attending a powwow with their family. At the powwow, a mysterious white dog steals food from a food cart and takes it away to this scary house. The twins along with their friends, follow the dog to the house where they find an old man who got hurt falling down the stairs. At the end, the man gets help because of the kids and they get to take care of the dog until he comes back.

I liked this book! I think the formatting was really cool and a good introduction to graphic novels for kids. I would use this book in 2nd-3rd grade classrooms.
  sagan21 | Mar 13, 2024 |
I love that this book uses real, interesting, and fun stories to illustrate ideas about culture. I really like that within the story there are real life situations and interactions that show stereotypes and proper ways to respond to such matters but that is not the central theme of the book. It is a part of the book without being the isolated! I love it.
  stewartj22 | Mar 13, 2024 |
This book would be good for older elementary (grades 3-5) because of the length of the book.
This book follows a set of siblings who are visiting their grandparents and traveling to different powwows. While at a powwow, a mysterious dog keeps making an appearance so the siblings set out to figure out where this mysterious dog is coming from.
I would recommend this book be available for students to read as a fun mystery while also being exposed to American Indian culture and traditions in a positive way.
  mlutey22 | Mar 11, 2024 |
This book is recommended for secondary students. This book depicts twins as they go to a powwow and the things that happen there. ( )
  Noahkunkel | Mar 13, 2023 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,836,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible