Chasing the Boogeyman: A Novel by Richard…

Chasing the Boogeyman: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Richard Chizmar (Author)

Member:jenniferannwoods
Title:Chasing the Boogeyman: A Novel
Authors:Richard Chizmar (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2021), 336 pages

Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar

So I don’t want to give anything away, so I will simply say that I was completely caught off guard by this book. From start it seemed like a fairly straight forward first person account of a serial murderer operating in a small Maryland town, and then it went in a completely different direction than expected, and I didn’t see it coming at all. Author Richard Chizmar certainly has a gift for spinning a tale. If you are into the unexpected you should definitely read this book. Thank you to Netgalley for the copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  hana321 | Oct 2, 2021 |
This is one of my favorite reads this summer and perfect for reading during the Halloween season that is coming up soon. With a mix of small-town life, mystery and true crime, Richard Chizmar presents an engaging story that will still allow readers to sleep at night.

Oddly enough, Chizmar is the main character and he builds the story around his hometown of Edgewood, Maryland. Chizmar moved back home to Edgewood for a few months after graduating from college and waiting for his upcoming wedding in January. During the months that he was there, several teenage girls were murdered.

Chizmar manages to befriend the police chief and aids in the investigation, also becoming privy to a few secrets about the investigation. He also rekindles a friendship with Carly, an old classmate who has become a journalist at the local paper. Together the three of them work on cracking the case.

Chizmar makes this feel like an authentic true crime story by adding pictures of the victims and some key places in Edgewood that are mentioned throughout the book. There’s also a bit of a surprise ending.

Mystery, horror and true crime readers will love this, but I think it will appeal have wide appeal to all readers.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Gallery Books for allowing me to read an advance copy and give my honest review. ( )
  tamidale | Aug 18, 2021 |
I had requested Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar well over a month ago from Netgalley. I didn’t reread the synopsis before I began reading it so I was surprised when I started reading a true crime memoir, since I know Chizmar as a horror writer. I kept getting surprised and a bit confused towards the end until I realized Chizmar has started a new genre of a non-fiction memoir combined with a fictitious true crime story. It is a very enjoyable concept and I can see more writers getting in on the action.

While it was interesting getting to know Chizmar a bit with glimpses back to his childhood and young adulthood, there were times when I felt the history of the town really bogged it down and I found myself skimming those parts. And while the suspense was there, I did miss the horror aspect. What the reader receives instead is a creepy feeling every now and then.

There were some great touches throughout the book including the obligatory true crime photos and I was amused how they came about. And after the killer is caught the interview that follows adds an interesting layer to the story, but still leaves the reader with questions. So maybe Chizmar really did give us the horror aspect when it comes to killers hiding in plain sight and often there is no explanation as to the horrors that take place in everyday life. ( )
  KimHeniadis | Aug 10, 2021 |
Metafiction. I had no idea what that was when I started this book, but I do believe I like it. This was a fascinating telling of a short period of the author's life - or was it? What is fact and what is fiction is blurred throughout the story. But honestly, the story is so compelling to read, that I barely gave that much thought, until I got to the end and two things happened. First the killer was interviewed and it felt so formulaic that it pulled me out of the story. And once again, how do we prove a person is a serial killer? Torture animals! The entire book had been so well done up to this point that I was really disappointed that the author hadn't been a bit more creative. The second thing that happens is the author tells you exactly what was real and what wasn't in his afterword, so you aren't left wondering, if you had been wondering :) I highly suggest you not read that afterword beforehand - you know who you are! And of course TW for animal abuse. It is clumped in one chapter that is easily skipped over. Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy and provide my honest opinion. ( )
  Kathl33n | Jul 1, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,193,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible