The Sweetest Remedy by Jane Igharo

The Sweetest Remedy (edition 2021)

by Jane Igharo (Author)

Member:KathyPedigo
Title:The Sweetest Remedy
Authors:Jane Igharo (Author)
Info:Berkley (2021), 314 pages

Work Information

The Sweetest Remedy by Jane Igharo

*A Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me to read this. This is my honest and unbiased review*

Hello Fellow Readers,

I was really excited to see that Igharo had another book coming out, since I really liked the Ties that Tether. So I pretty much jumped at the chance to read this. This book, like Igharo's previous one, not only gives you a spicy romance but has a lot of other themes including family. The main character Hannah just recently lost her absentee father, a product of an affair she makes the decision to fly to Nigeria and meet her half siblings. She also meets the very sexy Lawrence who is single.

This book is much more than a romance, Igharo gives you a peak into the Jolades family. While Hannah is a main character each of her half siblings do have a POV as well as Lawrence. Despite the multiple POVs I was never lost on who was talking, each character had their own distinct voice and characteristics, admittedly some more than others.

I did have a small problem with the romance as it seemed like instalove which did bother me a little. Also, some conflicts seemed a little cliche and I was able to guess a lot of the plot, which took away from it a little bit. I really loved Hannah though, she was very real and honest which endeared her to me.

Overall, a solid book about finding family with a good romance thrown in. ( )
  Lattes_Literature | Dec 23, 2021 |

Hannah Bailey has never known her father. After a brief relationship with her mother years ago, and only one meeting in her childhood, he pretty much disappeared. So when she's given the news that he has died and one of his final wishes is to have Hannah travel to the familial home in Nigeria, Hannah is obviously conflicted about it. Because her father was a well-regarded entrepreneur, he has a searchable presence online and Hannah is aware that she has four siblings. And she's also aware of the possibility that they know nothing about her whatsoever.

Hannah can't deny that reconciling a part of herself that she's felt has been missing in her life is something she's secretly yearned for, but she isn't prepared for the exposure of longheld secrets that threaten her newfound sense of self.

I think this is one of the best meditations on the ideas of family that I've read in a long while. Along with that, of course, is how our family, or our culture, defines our identity. Hannah was raised in America by a white mother. They were comfortable in their lives, Hannah didn't want for anything, but they certainly knew what it was to live/spend thoughtfully. Her father, however, is from a very affluent area in Nigeria. We're talking chauffeurs, mansions, designer clothing. But there's also this strong sense of culture, tradition, and family.

I loved seeing Hannah connect with each of her siblings - some easier than others - because Hannah is not the only one who has to reconcile herself with something new, her siblings never knew Hannah existed until she showed up for the funeral. So we see both parties kind of reevaluating everything they thought they understood about their father. Heartbreaking on Hannah's side is that almost everything she learns about him is second-hand and she'll not get a chance to really connect with him. But he's still alive within herself and her siblings. It's very bittersweet.

Overall, I was really drawn into Hannah's story. It was full of such heart and I loved how much it spoke to figuring out who you are for yourself, being true to yourself, and not how other people would define you. ( )
  AmyM3317 | Sep 28, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,163,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible