The Mark of the Assassin (Michael Osbourne…

The Mark of the Assassin (Michael Osbourne Book 1) (original 1998; edition 2003)

by Daniel Silva (Author)

Series: Michael Osbourne (1)

1,1261913,812 (3.76)9
While investigating a terrorist bombing of an airliner, CIA agent Michael Osborne discovers a body with three bullet holes to the face. He recognizes these markings as the work of a world-class assassin and sets out to find him.
Member:dferdiaz
Title:The Mark of the Assassin (Michael Osbourne Book 1)
Authors:Daniel Silva (Author)
Info:Berkley (2003), 530 pages

Work Information

The Mark of the Assassin by Daniel Silva (1998)

On July 17, 1996, shortly after takeoff from New York’s Kennedy International Airport, Trans World Airlines Flight 800, a Boeing 747-100 ( N93119) jetliner bound for Paris exploded over the Atlantic Ocean, killing all 230 people aboard. At the time of the incident, many believed that the Airliner had been shot from the sky by a missal fired from a boat off Long Island's shore. In 1998, when The Mark of the Assassin was copyrighted, some terror evoked by the incident lingered. Daniel Silva used that as the inciting incident for his novel having it require a malleable President Beckwith to take decisive action and allowing a corrupt politico, Chief of Staff, Paul Vandenberg and a powerful manipulative industrialist, Mitchell Elliott to set in action a series of assassinations which make up this thriller.
The novel has much that one would expect from a spy/thriller. There is an evil cabal of billionaires, "The Society for International Development and Cooperation;" a highly skillful assassin, Delaroche, bastard son of a KGB general; and his demi-assassin, Astrid, granddaughter of Kurt Vogel whom we met in The Unlikely Spy; allusions to real CIA actions, Operation Phoenix; and plenty of sex and violent action. What separates this from being a run-of-the-mill thriller is Silva's skill in developing characters that are believable and human. The protagonist, Michael Osbourne and his wife, Elizabeth, are portrayed sympathetically. We can understand their frustrations and pains. Even the assassins command some of our sympathy. Delaroche and Astrid are cold killers, but Delaroche is an accomplished painter and Astrid has been trapped by circumstances. The people of this novel whom we love to hate are the billionaire manipulators working to serve their own greedy ends.
Daniel Silva is a skilled craftsman and this work demonstrates his art.
  RonWelton | Aug 5, 2021 |
Flight 002 is shot down and the Sword of Gaza is blamed. Michael Osbourne, CIA agent, believes another entity carried out this terror attack. In response, President Beckwith orders a strike against 3 of their bases, setting off another terror attack at London Heathrow. Michael Osbourne is also looking for the agent who killed his girlfriend a few years previously in London by 3 shots to the face. Meanwhile, a Washington Post journalist is killed in her home by an intruder who had planted listening devices throughout her home and the assassin October is paid millions to kill 4 people in Europe, Africa, and the US. ( )
  baughga | May 5, 2021 |
Well written. Keeps you in suspense. ( )
  lynngood2 | Aug 3, 2020 |
This is my first time reading this author. I looooved this book. Going straight into The Marching Season. ( )
  Mo_Morgan | Apr 3, 2019 |
Pretty good spy thriller. I thought it had a few plot devices that were a little hard to swallow or I would have given it a 4 star. I think this was Silva's first book so I hope he gets tighter with his plotting. That is almost always what turns me off spy thriller that are suppose to be plausible, the implausible act. James Bond can get away with it because it is a cartoon, otherwise no can do.

CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

Daniel Silvaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Süle, GáborTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And ye shall know the truth,
and the truth shall make you free.

-- The creed of the Central Intelligence Agency,
taken from John: 8:32

And ye shall know the truth,
and the truth shall piss you off.

-- The staff version
'And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free' -- The creed of the USA Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

... 'And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall piss you off' -- the CIA staff version.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,993,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible