The Social Graces

by Renée Rosen

Fictio Literatur Historical Fictio HTML:The USA Today Bestseller!
Named one of 2021??s Most Anticipated Historical Novels by Oprah Daily ?? SheReads ?? Frolic ?? BookReporter ??
and more...
The author of Park Avenue Summer throws back the curtain on one of the most remarkable feuds in history: Alva Vanderbilt and the Mrs. Astor's notorious battle for control of New York society during the Gilded Age.
1876. In the glittering world of Manhattan's upper crust, women are valued by their pedigree, dowry, and, most importantly, connections. They have few rights and even less independence??what they do have is society. The more celebrated the hostess, the more powerful the woman. And none is more powerful than Caroline Astor??the Mrs. Astor.
But times are changing.
Alva Vanderbilt has recently married into one of America's richest families. But what good is dizzying wealth when society refuses to acknowledge you? Alva, who knows what it is to have nothing, will do whatever it takes to have everything.
Sweeping three decades and based on true events, this is the mesmerizing story of two fascinating, complicated women going head to head, behaving badly, and discovering w
… (more)

Really tried to like this. Maybe I'm just over my historical fiction phase. ( )
  tackyj | Aug 3, 2023 |
DNF'd, was not engaged! (A year ago but apparently I have to be better about noting my DNFs so I don't try to pick them up again.)
  whakaora | Mar 5, 2023 |
Who publishes this stuff? This is a mediocre novel of the feud between Caroline Ator and Alva Vanderbilt and their battle to see who would be Queen of New York Society. Nothing new here and the characters were poorly developed. A waste of time. ( )
  etxgardener | Jul 5, 2022 |
I loved reading The Social Graces by Renee Rosen! For just a moment, I felt as though I was in their shoes, arranging grand balls and luncheons... scheming for a place in society and sparing no expense. I also felt heartbroken for the way they were treated - as property rather than real women..

This one is perfect if you're a fan of regency romance or Bridgerton, for example!
  Jynell | Feb 24, 2022 |
There's just something fun about the rivalries of rich people and this novel captures the nineteenth-century tensions between Caroline Astor and Alva Vanderbilt, two wealthy women who challenged each other. Alva, who married into the newly wealthy Vanderbilt family, found her desired place in society blocked by Caroline Astor, the accepted leader of New York high society and representative of the "old money" crowd. These two women circle each other, with ever more expensive ploys and with plenty of family scandals playing out around them, before gradually learning to accept one another. I've encountered these women before, but I did find this novel insightful, and overall it made for enjoyable reading. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 18, 2021 |

Fictio Literatur Historical Fictio HTML:The USA Today Bestseller!
and more...
But times are changing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,382,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible