Alone by Megan E. Freeman

Alone (edition 2021)

by Megan E. Freeman (Author)

Member:SandSing7
Title:Alone
Authors:Megan E. Freeman (Author)
Info:Aladdin (2021), 415 pages

Alone by Megan E. Freeman

Maddie is a typical teen living in Colorado. Maddie splits her time between her mom and step-dad’s house and her dad and step-mom’s house. She and two of her friends hatch a plan to spend a night at Maddie’s grandparents apartment alone. Maddie tells her mom she is staying with her dad and tells her dad she is staying with her mom to babysit. She goes to her grandma’s apartment and waits for her two friends to arrive. Unfortunately, their parents call her mom and are told she is at her dad’s so they can’t go anywhere. Then the unimaginable happens. Maddie hears sounds of panic outside of her grandma’s apartment. People are being rounded up. She hears the neighbor tell the person in charge that the owners are out of state. Maddy wakes the next morning to learn that everyone in her town has been evacuated due to an “imminent threat”. This begins Maddie’s journey to survive. She doesn’t know what the threat is. As she goes about town she finds a barrel with cell phones in it. She dials her mom’s number and hears a phone ring in one of the barrels, she tries her dad’s phone and her friends’ phones only to realize every one of them were left behind. This is a story of survival. It starts with Maddie talking to one of her step-brothers about the book “Island of the Blue Dolphins”. There are definite similarities between the book and Maddie’s new reality. I loved that this was told in verse which made it a very quick read. The emotional aspect as you go day by day and year by year on this ride with Maddie makes you wonder what you would do if you were left behind. Can’t wait to put this on my school shelves. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jun 25, 2021 |
Maddie is ALONE for years after her Colorado town is evacuated and she is left behind. The sparse poetry chronicle her efforts to survive, prepare, her resourcefulness, her loneliness, and the books & dog that keep her company. A quick read. ( )
  ewyatt | Jun 21, 2021 |
From Goodreads Employees summer '21 recommendations comes Alone by Megan E. Freeman. This book, meant for the YA crowd, was thoroughly enjoyed by this Baby Boomer who found it an edge of the seat sort of read.
Maddie, 12 years old going on 13, plans a secret girls night out with her two best friends at her Grandma's unoccupied summer apartment. Surrounded by snacks and sodas and frozen pizzas she waits for her friends to arrive. As luck would have it, her friends can't make it so Maddie spends the night alone and wakes up to a national emergency. No cell service, can't reach parents, her divorced parents each think she's with the other......when in actuality she's.....alone.
What you have here is a very dystopian world where everyone is gone and Maddie is forced to fend for herself, alone, for months with only George, her neighbor's Rottweiler for companionship.
Great summer read that will keep you on the edge of your beach chair. ( )
  Carmenere | May 29, 2021 |
This may be a middle grade novel, but the subject matter and the gorgeous prose can easily be enjoyed for older readers. This is a novel in verse, which can be decisive for many readers, but I found it took nothing from the story and actually read better than a regular chapter book. You are still able to plainly feel Maddie’s hope, pain and loneliness. You can also see the desolate town and the wilds of nature through Maddie’s eyes.
This wasn’t always an easy book to read: for for example, reading about Maddie finding all of the pets left behind made me cry. Maddie faces wild animals and natural disasters, but nothing ever felt unrealistic like it has in other books. Maddie often finds out the hard way how to do something she has never done before, and she’s tenacious in her quest to expand her knowledge. It’s how I imagine I and others would fare in the same situation-I would just study as much as I could and use what I learned.
This was a beautiful book and I can’t help but give it more praise. Its’s sad to see the lower star reviews on here and I hope those reviewers give it another chance. ( )
  brookiexlicious | May 2, 2021 |
I liked Maddie and George the faithful rottweiler and there survival story. As a librarian, I loved Maddie's reliance on the library for knowledge, entertainment, and most of all, solace, from how to build a fire to Mary Oliver's poetry. As a naturalist, I loved the author's descriptions of the land, birds and wildlife, and her character finding strength and peace in it despite natural disasters. Though I understand that the story was about Maddie, I wish the author had given more of an explanation of the "imminent threat." Overall, a fast-paced, thoughtful, adventurous read. ( )
  bookwren | Mar 26, 2021 |
... the sound of a human voice.

There is no sound like this in all the world.

-Scott O'Dell, "Island of the Blue Dolphins"
for Fiona Grace
This is my reality.
I love the library.

My own personal book church.
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,463,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible