Memory of Fire, Volume 1: Genesis

by Eduardo Galeano

Series: Memory of Fire (1)

A unique and epic history, Eduardo Galeano's Memory of Fire trilogy is an outstanding Latin American eye view of the making of the New World. From its first English language publication in 1985 it has been recognized as a classic of political engagement, original research, and literary form.

English (12)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
I liked Galeano's approach to non-fiction here and enjoyed reading the vignettes at first. It became harder and harder for me to follow after a while, though, and I found myself wishing I was just reading one solid story instead of bouncing around the Americas each page. This is just my preference and no real fault of the text--the text is beautiful and heartbreaking and creative. I may pick up the next book in the trilogy a little while down the line. ( )
1 vote LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Completed book one of Memory of Fire by Galeano. A history of Americas from early beginnings of the indigenous people up to the beginning of the 1700s. History with commentary, written with perspective of the people makes it a living history story. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 20, 2019 |
16.95
  collectionmcc | Mar 6, 2018 |
The book is a narrative retelling of the first two centuries of American history after European-Indian first contact. America as in the Americas, not just the United States. Galeano has mined and appropriated hundreds of sources, and the narrative proceeds in fragments of 1-2 pages. A dialogue between Sor Juana and her confessor here, a description of Cabeza de Vaca re-encountering European civilization there. The effect is hypnotic, beautiful, and (inasmuch as the early history of America is replete with genocide, superstition, and slavery) devastating. I can't wait to to read the other two volumes in the trilogy. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
"I was really enjoying the rich tapestry of worlds and beginnings as well as learning a lot.
And then, with you barely noticing it, that precise language begins to burn."
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.gr/2016/03/genesis-eduardo-galeano.html ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Apr 9, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

The dry grass will set fire to the wet grass -- African proverb brought to the Americas by slaves.
This book is dedicated to Grandmother Esther. She knew it before she died.
The woman and the man dreamed that God was dreaming about them.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,406,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible