Battle of the Linguist Mages (2022)

by Scotto Moore

"In modern day Los Angeles, a shadowy faction led by the Governor of California develops the arcane art of combat linguistics, planting the seeds of a future totalitarian empire in Scott Moore's Battle of the Linguist Mages. Isobel is the Queen of the medieval rave-themed VR game Sparkle Dungeon. Her prowess in the game makes her an ideal candidate to learn the secrets of "power morphemes"-unnaturally dense units of meaning that warp perception when skilfully pronounced. But Isobel's reputation makes her the target of a strange resistance movement led by spellcasting anarchists, who may be the only thing stopping the cabal from toppling California over the edge of a terrible transformation, with forty million lives at stake. Time is short for Isobel to level up and choose a side-because the cabal has attracted much bigger and weirder enemies than the anarchist resistance, emerging from dark and vicious dimensions of reality and heading straight for planet Earth!"--… (more)

This book was so much fun to read! I loved the combination of MMORPG lore with linguistics! Very enjoyable. ( )
  knerd.knitter | May 24, 2024 |
3 stars for writing, 4 for ideas, rounding up ( )
  danielskatz | Dec 26, 2023 |
I was uncertain to begin with whether this would be all manic sparkly quips in lieu of character/storyline. It wasn't, and it drew and held my attention - for most of the book. The power morphemes were cool (I mean the linguistics rapidly got very wacky but hey, so did everything else, so it fit); the intrigue and revelations were compelling; the main character was fun but not shallow and despite her initial cynicism had a strong moral core; the game setting was quirky and not my kind of game but I can see the appeal and enjoyed the descriptions of its internal mythology.

But... there kept being more revelations, more levelling up, more and more massive melees against the Big Boss, and as I type this I realise this is 100% in keeping with game structure so if you like games then there you are, but at a certain point I was so overstimulated that I started getting bored. Not my kind of game, I guess. ( )
  zeborah | Jun 12, 2023 |
Tha Last Starfighter meets Ready Player One meets The Matrix, all infused with house music. ( )
  tornadox | Feb 14, 2023 |
So fun! The lead character has a sustained, hilarious voice. The story playfully swirls together gaming, multiverses, linguistics, and politics. It offered a much more enticing case for anarchy than Doctorow’s pendantic Walkaway. By the time I finished this, my throat hurt, even while I longed to try out power morphemes. ( )
  Ling.Lass | Jul 4, 2022 |

Scotto Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stoelzle, NaNá V.Copy editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tierney, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,083,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible