Stick

by Steve Breen

An independent young frog goes on a wild adventure when he accidentally gets carried away by a dragonfly.

I loved how the setting of the book was in a swamp, I think children in louisiana would love it. I enjoyed going on the little adventure with the frog and dragon fly I thought it was cute. I think this book would help children take their minds off of things and would laugh. It teaches children that sometimes you do need your parents, even when you think you don't! ( )
  HillaryBertucci | Sep 7, 2013 |
It's never too late to ask for help. This book explores the world of a young frog and how too much independence isn't always the best. A good read for making children realize that their parents are a vital tool for life. ( )
  aalkurd | Sep 1, 2013 |
A cute story here about a frog named Stick who has an independent, adventurous streak! I really enjoyed the illustrations, which describe Stick's trip well without a lot of words (which would just cover up the nice illustrations here!). ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
This is one of my newest almost-favorite picture books. Stick is a little frog who wants to do everything all by himself. But with a very sticky tongue, things don't work out as he expects and he goes on a wild, tongue-pulling journey!

I love the many shades of green throughout the illustrations and Stick's adventures are perfectly and hilariously expressed through variously-sized panels.

My only quibble is the text. It's really unnecessary, as the pictures tell the story all by themselves and it's obvious at first glance that this could be a perfect wordless book. The text doesn't add to the story, just fills in what the reader is seeing and distracts from the perfect sequencing of the plot in the pictures. Still, for those who want to use this in storytime and have trouble with improvisation, the text will be a useful frame for discussing the illustrations.

Verdict: Highly recommended.

ISBN: 978-0803731240; Published March 2007 by Dial; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library; Purchased for my personal collection
  JeanLittleLibrary | Nov 12, 2011 |
A young frog, named Stick, enjoys being as independent as possible; however, he gets carried away one day. Stick's unexpected journey takes him from his home in the swamp, through the city of New Orleans, and back home to the swamp.

The book would be a good reference for encouraging independence and humillity. ( )
  Jill.Barrington | Sep 8, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,984,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible