Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My…

Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (Pantheon Graphic… (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Art Spiegelman (Author)

Series: Maus: A Survivor's Tale (2), Maus (2)

A memoir of Vladek Spiegleman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and about his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his story, and history. Cartoon format portrays Jews as mice, Nazis as cats. Using a unique comic-strip-as-graphic-art format, the story of Vladek Spiegelman's passage through the Nazi Holocaust is told in his own words. Acclaimed as a "quiet triumph" and a "brutally moving work of art," the first volume of Art Spiegelman's Maus introduced readers to Vladek Spiegelman. The story succeeds perfectly in shocking us out of any lingering sense of familiarity with the events described, approaching, as it does, the unspeakable through the diminutive. As the New York Times Book Review commented, "[it is] a remarkable feat of documentary detail and novelistic vividness ... an unfolding literary event." This long-awaited sequel, subtitled And Here My Troubles Began, moves us from the barracks of Auschwitz to the bungalows of the Catskills. Genuinely tragic and comic by turns, it attains a complexity of theme and a precision of thought new to comics and rare in any medium. Maus ties together two powerful stories: Vladek's harrowing tale of survival against all odds, delineating the paradox of daily life in the death camps, and the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Vladek's troubled remarriage, minor arguments between father and son, and life's everyday disappointments are all set against a backdrop of history too large to pacify. At every level this is the ultimate survivor's tale--and that too of the children who somehow survive even the survivors.… (more)
Member:Heidis26
Title:Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (Pantheon Graphic Library)
Authors:Art Spiegelman (Author)
Info:Pantheon (1992), Edition: Reprint, 144 pages

Work Information

Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (Author) (1991)

Recently added bydonetha, private library, RunLonger, Ashley_Hoss_820, Nannus, li_izumi, ahblake
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose
    Palestine by Joe Sacco (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: This is only for those not too raw after reading Maus and its sequel. I must warn you that Palestine does not paint a pretty picture of Jews or Israel, but Joe Sacco does an amazing job of revealing the story of a people through the use of graphic novel. He uses this genre, as does Art Spiegelman, to reveal heartfelt pain.… (more)
    Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (Tjarda)
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Anonymous user)
    Open Me... I'm a Dog! by Art Spiegelman (JessamyJane)
    Kafka by David Zane Mairowitz (gust)
    De Avonden / Een beeldverhaal 1 by Dick Matena (gust)
    gust: Ook een graphic novel
    We Are On Our Own: A Memoir by Miriam Katin (JessamyJane)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (bertilak)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (SqueakyChu)

English (120)  Swedish (1)  All languages (121)
So sad, but so good. I'm ready to take another swing at a graphic novel. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
Every bit as powerful and disturbing as the first book. I found the ending abrupt, but I wonder if that was deliberate. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Nov 14, 2021 |
If you haven't read this book, do yourself a favor an do it now. Outstanding. ( )
  Leonardo_ | Oct 29, 2021 |
This was a good second volume, though it was more about the present than the past (both the present of the characters, and the emotional rollercoaster the author hit after publishing the first one, which got a bit dicey and uncomfortable at times). I did not feel this volume packed as much punch, nor had much of anything in culminating or having any sort of ending, either in the past or the present. It just abruptly ended, which felt entirely anthithesis of the whole story about how nothing does end. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
Perhaps no Holocaust narrative will ever contain the whole experience. But Art Spiegelman has found an original and authentic form to draw us closer to its bleak heart.

By writing and drawing simply, directly and earnestly, Mr. Spiegelman is able to lend his father's journey into hell and back an immediacy and poignance... In recounting the tales of both the father and the son in "Maus" and now in "Maus II," Mr. Spiegelman has stretched the boundaries of the comic book form and in doing so has created one of the most powerful and original memoirs to come along in recent years.

Belongs to Series

Maus (2)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Mickey Mouse is the most miserable ideal ever revealed...Healthy emotions tell every independent young man and every honorable youth that the dirty and filth-covered vermin, the greatest bacteria carrier in the animal kingdom, cannot be the ideal type of animal...Away with Jewish brutalization of the people! Down with Mickey Mouse! Wear the Swastika Cross!
--newspaper article, pomerania, Germany, mid-1930s
Thanks to Paul Pavel, Deborah Karl, and Mala Spiegelman for helping this volume into the world.
Thanks to the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation for a fellowship that allowed me to focus on completing Maus.
And my thanks, with love and admiration, to Francoise Mouly for her intelligence, integrity, editorial skills, and for her love.
For Richieu and for Nadja
Summer vacation. Francoise and I were staying with friends in Vermont...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began". It does NOT contain the first volume of the story, Maus I.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,158,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible