The Secret Keeper of Jaipur: A novel for…

The Secret Keeper of Jaipur: A novel for book clubs (The Jaipur Trilogy,… (edition 2022)

by Alka Joshi (Author)

Series: Jaipur Trilogy (2)

A NEW NOVEL BY THE AUTHOR OF THE HENNA ARTIST,  A REESE'S BOOK CLUB PICK Good Morning America's "27 Books for June"   PopSugar's Best Summer Reads of 2021  In New York Times bestselling author Alka Joshi's intriguing new novel, henna artist Lakshmi arranges for her protégé, Malik, to intern at the Jaipur Palace in this tale rich in character, atmosphere, and lavish storytelling. It's the spring of 1969, and Lakshmi, now married to Dr. Jay Kumar, directs the Healing Garden in Shimla. Malik has finished his private school education. At twenty, he has just met a young woman named Nimmi when he leaves to apprentice at the Facilities Office of the Jaipur Royal Palace. Their latest project: a state-of-the-art cinema. Malik soon finds that not much has changed as he navigates the Pink City of his childhood. Power and money still move seamlessly among the wealthy class, and favors flow from Jaipur's Royal Palace, but only if certain secrets remain buried. When the cinema's balcony tragically collapses on opening night, blame is placed where it is convenient. But Malik suspects something far darker and sets out to uncover the truth. As a former street child, he always knew to keep his own counsel; it's a lesson that will serve him as he untangles a web of lies. "Captivated me from the first chapter to the last page." --Reese Witherspoon on The Henna Artist… (more)
Member:dahliapetunia
Title:The Secret Keeper of Jaipur: A novel for book clubs (The Jaipur Trilogy, 2)
Authors:Alka Joshi (Author)
Info:MIRA (2022), Edition: First Time Trade, 384 pages

Work Information

The Secret Keeper of Jaipur by Alka Joshi

It’s the spring of 1969, and Lakshmi, now married to Dr. Jay Kumar, directs the Healing Garden in Shimla. Malik has finished his private school education. At twenty, he has just met a young woman named Nimmi when he leaves to apprentice at the Facilities Office of the Jaipur Royal Palace. Their latest project: a state-of-the-art cinema.

Malik soon finds that not much has changed as he navigates the Pink City of his childhood. Power and money still move seamlessly among the wealthy class, and favors flow from Jaipur’s Royal Palace, but only if certain secrets remain buried. When the cinema’s balcony tragically collapses on opening night, blame is placed where it is convenient. But Malik suspects something far darker and sets out to uncover the truth. As a former street child, he always knew to keep his own counsel; it’s a lesson that will serve him as he untangles a web of lies.

I have just returned from a trip to India! The writing and details that Alka Joshi writes in this book are so vivid that it felt like I was experiencing the characters' adventures myself! You can feel the dedication, time and research that the author has put into this book! The world building was done beautifully! The characters are lovely and easy to like. With the story being told from different P.O. V I could get to know the characters as an individual which adds to the richness of the book. I have not read The Henna Artist yet but I look forward to going back and learning more about these wonderful characters! Happy reading everyone!
  thepageladies | Oct 2, 2022 |
Not a bookclub book but a sequel to the first book. Very good!! Recommended by Ruth ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
The plot of The Secret Keeper of Jaipur by Alka Joshi unfolds at different levels. A construction disaster. Palace intrigues. A romance. The expedient decision vs the right decision. The family we choose. All of this set in the midst of the beautiful Pink City and the colors, tastes, and sounds of India makes for an engaging story beginning to end. Please note that this is book 2 in a trilogy. I feel it can be enjoyed on its own, but, then again, I have read the first.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2022/07/the-secret-keeper-of-jaipur.html

Reviewed for NetGalley. ( )
  njmom3 | Jul 24, 2022 |
This is the continued story of Lakshmi and Malik from The Henna Artist. Lakshmi is now married and helping her husband and his patients in the Himalayan village of Shimla. Malik, now a grown man, has met a widow with two children he begins to fall in love with. Lakshmi sends Malik back to Jaipur to learn all he can about the construction industry. As he begins his internship at the leading construction company in Jaipur, there is a major tragedy when the balcony of the newly built Royal Jewel Cinema collapses. Malik begins to think that something sinister has taken place and he is determined to find out what.

Meanwhile, back in Shimla, Nimmi, Malik's beloved is dealing with drama of her own. As she begins to help Lakshmi and her husband at the Community Hospital, she helps care for an injured sheep that two village children have brought in. One look at the sheep's markings let her know that the sheep belongs to her brother and the sheep's injury makes her aware that the sheep are being used for smuggling. She must do whatever she can to keep her family safe.

While this book is not a continuation of The Henna Artist, it does allow us to see what the main characters' lives are like 12 years later. It was nice to reacquaint myself with Lakshmi and see that she finally has the happiness she had been searching for. Malik, once a wily orphan, has now grown into an intelligent, responsible man ready for a family of his own. ( )
  Micareads | Jun 21, 2022 |
There's a piece of wisdom that says that an author's sophomore effort is always a disappointment. I'm pleased to say that I've found the exception that proves that rule on more than one occassion. Joshi's sequel to The Henna Artist is another exception, making me think that perhaps we ought to stop making generalizations about sophomore efforts.

The Secret Keeper of Jaipur picks up 12 years after the events in The Henna Artist. Lakshmi has married Dr. Jay, and they are settled into their lives at the hospital, clinic, and healing garden. Malik is a young man of 20, who feels enormous fondness and not a little bit of indebtedness to Lakshmi, or "Auntie Boss". When she asks him to go back to Jaipur to apprentice in the building trade with their old friend, Manu, he of course agrees, even though he's just at the beginning of a promising relationship with Nimmi, a young widow with two children who left her tribe to try to make a life in Shimla after her husband died. In Jaipur, Malik is impressed with the Manu's biggest project, the Royal Palace Theater, and learns all he can. In Shimla, Nimmi finds out that her brother has been involved with gold smugglers. The intersection of those two plots is the driving force behind the book, but Joshi fills it out with beautiful language describing Malik and Nimmi's path toward each other and Lakshmi's road to come to peace with her path, as a catastrophe forces her to return to Jaipur for the first time in twelve years.

Anyone who enjoyed The Henna Artist will get immense satisfaction from reading this second installment. Anyone who hasn't, but is looking for a well-written story about found families, with some intrigue and royalty thrown in will like this as well. It's not strictly necessary to read The Henna Artist first, but it will be easier to understand some of the action in the sequel if you do. I'm hearing rumors that this is meant to be a trilogy, and I'm excited for the third.

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book for the publisher in exchange for this review. ( )
  mzonderm | May 7, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Honesty and transparency make your vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway. Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway. -- Mother Teresa
If you want the rose, you must put up with the thorn. -- Hindu proverb
Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars. -- Serbian proverb
For Bradley, who encouraged me to write
For my readers, who fell in love with Malik
It's opening night of the Royal Jewel Cinema, which shines as brilliantly as a gemstone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,334,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible