To Sir, with Love

by Lauren Layne

Love Is Blind meets You've Got Mail in this laugh-out-loud romantic comedy following two thirty-somethings who meet on a blind dating app--only to realize that their online chemistry is nothing compared to their offline rivalry. Perpetually cheerful and eager to please, Gracie Cooper strives to make the best out of every situation. So when her father dies just months after a lung cancer diagnosis, she sets aside her dreams of pursuing her passion for art to take over his Midtown Manhattan champagne shop. She soon finds out that the store's profit margins are being squeezed perilously tight, and complicating matters further, a giant corporation headed by the impossibly handsome, but irritatingly arrogant Sebastian Andrews is proposing a buyout. But Gracie can't bear the thought of throwing away her father's dream like she did her own. Overwhelmed and not wanting to admit to her friends or family that she's having second thoughts about the shop, Gracie seeks advice and solace from someone she's never met--the faceless "Sir", with whom she connected on a blind dating app where matches get to know each other through messages and common interests before exchanging real names or photos. But although Gracie finds herself slowly falling for Sir online, she has no idea she's already met him in real life...and they can't stand each other.… (more)

There’s nothing wrong with this book but for me it’s too much of a copy of You’ve Got Mail. And I know it says that on the blurb but it’s such a knockoff of Mail that I just couldn’t enjoy it. ( )
  thewestwing | Aug 12, 2022 |
I almost gave this a four star but ultimately decided against it.
I quite liked the book... Definitely looking forward to reading more by Lauren Layne! ( )
  kritieeee | Jun 16, 2022 |
To Sir, With Love by Lauren Layne is a 2021 Gallery Books publication.

Gracie Cooper gave up her dream of being a professional artist to run the champagne shop, per her father’s wishes. Gracie’s siblings have left her holding the bag, so Gracie is determined to make the best of the situation by adopting a ‘Pollyanna’ approach, working hard to convince herself she is happy. Sadly, though, the champagne shop is going through a rough patch.

Enter Sebastian Andrews…

Sebastian wants to by the champagne shop and is pressuring Gracie non-stop, merely because he needs the space the shop in sitting on. His approach could use some work, as he is oh so arrogant. Gracie is determined to fight for her store, despite her doubts and the odds against her.

The one bright spot in all this an accidental messaging relationship Gracie has developed with ‘Sir’ via a ‘faceless’ dating app. She’s loving the light and easy banter she has stuck up with ‘Sir’, and soon finds he is an excellent confidant, and despite her protest, she might be falling in love with him…

What a cute, sweet story with a nice updated – ‘enemies-lovers’ vibes, Ala “You’ve Got Mail”. The dialogue is snappy, flirty and fun, with just the right amount of tension and emotion, to compliment the plot and the characters.

Layne has become a ‘go-to’ author for me when I want a light contemporary or romantic comedy. Her stories are light, but have depth and feeling, and always, always leave a big smile on my face!

4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Dec 12, 2021 |
Blech. A heroine who is a grown woman loves Disney princesses, talks to her cat, paints animal print martini glasses against the NYC skyline, and listens to Michael Buble? No. I will say a 1.5. I literally feel a little nauseated after finishing. For those who enjoy chastity, this is 100% sex free. ( )
  Narshkite | Oct 23, 2021 |
I lost my faith in romantic novels. Though Lauren is the second author of romantic novels I have read. The first is all time Nicholas Sparks. And I love the way he explains a situation.

I knew before reading the book that Sebastian and Sir where same guy. I think the book was a bit streched. I got bored in the middle and was about to leave the book. I didn't as I wanted to know about the ending. I am not disappointed about the ending of the book. As they get together in the end.

Though the last reason of Sebastian not telling the truth To Gracie( the dialogue) was a little stupid and not giving the sensible reason getting 100% love. It was just stupid.

I got reference to read this book from a site, as I am preparing for a competative exam. It was a okay read not awesome nor good. It was a fine read.

Though I don't recommend anyone to read this book. Read any of Nicholas Sparks books you won't be disappointed, but this is a big disappointment. ( )
  gk._ginny | Sep 27, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,032,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible