Nice Racism: How Progressive White People…

Nice Racism: How Progressive White People Perpetuate Racial Harm (edition 2021)

by Robin DiAngelo (Author)

Member:uwwaklibrary
Title:Nice Racism: How Progressive White People Perpetuate Racial Harm
Authors:Robin DiAngelo (Author)
Info:Beacon Press (2021), 224 pages

Work Information

Nice Racism: How Progressive White People Perpetuate Racial Harm by Robin DIANGELO

In White Fragility, Robin DiAngelo explained how racism is a system into which all white people are socialized and challenged the belief that racism is a simple matter of good people versus bad. DiAngelo also made a provocative claim: white progressives cause the most daily harm to people of color. In Nice Racism, her follow-up work, she explains how they do so. Drawing on her background as a sociologist and over 25 years working as an anti-racist educator, she picks up where White Fragility left off and moves the conversation forward. ~Amazon
  stlukeschurch | Aug 28, 2021 |
I've read DiAngelo's other book 'White Fragility' and wasn't overly impressed by the book itself but thought the concept and some of the discussion about the topic has been useful. DiAngelo has been criticized (understandably and legitimately) about taking up space as a white woman talking about racism. But all the same, I thought this book was still worth a read.

Here, this is a slightly different topic than 'White Fragility', although certainly the two are similar. Unlike some of the more outright racism from the right, DiAngelo looks at racism from the other side and how well-meaning white people can actually continue to harm BIPOC while....believing they're actually not being racist. It can be a thorny issue and one that unfortunately is difficult to disentangle sometimes.

I do agree with a lot of the criticisms of the book. DiAngelo does insert herself too much. Some of the information here is anecdotal. Sometimes the text just drones on and on. There are useful bits of information on here that should make people think. Will they? Hard to say.

Unfortunately or not, this is a topic that should be discussed. Racism does not belong to one group or one political affiliation or on one side of the political spectrum. Sometimes, the reasoning may be different but sometimes groups of different political stripes agree on something because it maintains white supremacy and that is something that the United States really hasn't grappled with on any significant scale.

Is DiAngelo someone to speak about this? I'm not sure, but I can understand the argument that you have to start somewhere, and sometimes it has to start with someone like her or with a text like hers.

So, overall my feelings about this book fall along the lines of her first one. Good to read, maybe a starting point for some but also absolutely not a book to begin and end with with no other follow-up whatsoever. Also don't expect any great revelations and do expect that even if you don't like the book, that she is talking about something that is highly relevant and is not going to go away.

Borrowed this from my library and I'd say that was the best option. I would very much understand the reluctance to give the author money (buy books by BIPOC, support BIPOC businesses, notice their work and presence around you and acknowledge that) but for the right person I could understand why it would be a purchase, too. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Aug 10, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,561,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible