Seven Days in June by Tia Williams

Seven Days in June (edition 2021)

by Tia Williams (Author)

Info:Grand Central Publishing (2021), 336 pages
Collections:Kindle

Work Information

Seven Days in June by Tia Williams

The main characters met when they were 17 years old and were together for one week in June. Both were going through some intense things at the time. Flash forward to years later and they are reunited for another 7 days. Will it be different this time? Will they find a way to stay together?

This book contains some intense subject matter including drug use and abuse, self-harm, and violence. It was very different from what I normally read but in a good way. I wouldn't recommend this to everybody, but I do think it is a good book. ( )
  sdbookhound | Jan 8, 2022 |
I should have looked at reviews before reading as I didn't realize it was mostly a contemporary romance novel and not much else. The timeline jumps around, the characters are not developed well, and the plot just isn't enough. I listened to the audio for some of the book, but the daughter's voice was horrible. She sounded like a whiny 5 year old. By chapter 16, I should have known it wasn't for me and by chapter 20, I just wanted it to end. I did finish it, and the ending was fine. If you're looking for a light, easy read where you don't really need to pay attention, this is for you! ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Dec 30, 2021 |
Great back and forth of two separate sets of 7 days in separate Junes, involving the same couple. Really well done. Swept me in, except for the times I had to google slang I didn't know. Read during December, in a pandemic, rather than June. ( )
  bookczuk | Dec 21, 2021 |
Seven Days in June is everything in a book. It’s such a painful, wonderful, happy story of love, loss and identity that is brilliantly written. It was almost painful to finish this book as I didn’t want to leave the world of Shane, Eva and Audre. Where has Tia Williams been all my life? I need her backlist (which seems to be coming soon according to all the bookselling sites, but it’s not fast enough!)

The story is about Eva. Eva writes vampire/witch erotic fiction which has a devoted, if small, fanbase. There are 14 books in the series and her fans are hungry for more. But the latest book just isn’t flying out of the keys for Eva. She wants to write in another genre about her family’s history but its just not financially possible for the single mum. Her daughter, Audre (who definitely deserves her own book when she grows up), has had a super stable, privileged upbringing and Eva wants to keep it that way. Eva also suffers from chronic, 100-out-of-10 migraines that can hit at any time. It doesn’t make her life easy. Then the man she had one crazy in love week with as a teenager suddenly appears at the Black author panel Eva is speaking at. Shane is back in her life, and it’s great, but there are many unresolved issues from the past. Can both of them work through it or are they better left in the past?

Seven Days in June is not ‘just’ a romance. Sure, the chemistry between Eva and Shane both past and present crackles and sparks off the page but it’s a story of pain too. Physical pain like Eva’s disability and teenage Shane’s rebreaking of his arm as punishment. Both Eva and Shane had broken, disruptive childhoods that left them scarred and at times broken. The parts of the story set in the past ooze pain for these kids that lack care, attention and love; for those who had to grow up too fast. Both Eva and Shane have (or are trying to) get past the ‘being bad’ parts of their past. Eva has built up strong walls to hold herself in and to focus on Audre. Shane is trying to replace his demons with the kids he mentors, clean eating and a lot of running. These characters are deeply flawed but desperately trying to right their wrongs for the future. Eva will do anything for Audre (which Audre knows, and the scene where she jumps to extreme conclusions about how Eva solved her suspension from school is comical). Shane will do anything for Eva, but Eva won’t do the same. She’s got Audre and herself to think about.

Audre was my favourite character. A therapist in the making, she offers her advice to anyone (and also manages to make a profit through Snapchat counselling). She’s sassy and bold, as well and practical and mature. She’s also fearless, offering her advice to Shane and anyone else who is willing to listen. She’s very comfortable with who she is, in contrast to Eva, who rewrites history to give Audre a more positive spin on her family. But Eva and Shane are just as lovable, as are the supporting characters. Any of them could lead their own story too. The chemistry is powerful, as are the emotions of these Black characters. I just want to read anything Tia Williams writes; she knows how to infuse a book with memorable characters and emotions!

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Oct 30, 2021 |
So. Damn. Good. ( )
1 vote gossamerchild88 | Aug 22, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,992,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible