Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty

Apples Never Fall (original 2021; edition 2021)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

Member:graps
Title:Apples Never Fall
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2021), 480 pages

Work Information

Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty (2021)

I never cease to be amazed with what Liane Moriarty pulls into one of her novels. This one is set in Sydney in 2020, with a background of bushfires and the beginning of the global pandemic. Neither of those are really important to the plot of the book, they just give it a time frame.

If you are reading this blog, you probably want to know if this novel is crime fiction. Well, it isn't really, until right at the end, although there is plenty of mystery: the major one is what has happened to Joy? But so much of the rest of the novel, the background of what has happened to this family, and in this family, over the last 40 years, is important for us to understand what has happened to Joy.

Liane Moriarty has chosen to tell this story in the third person through the eyes of all the major characters in turn, while switching between the events of September/October 2019 and ‘now’, which is approximately February and March 2020.

There is such a lot to discuss after reading this novel. The publisher's site provides a Readers Guide of 50 questions which will be useful if you are having a group discussion - see the Book Club Notes link on the publisher's page at https://www.panmacmillan.com.au/9781760785024/

The novel took me quite a long time to read, but it was certainly worth it.

I'm still puzzled by the title - like me you can probably call to mind an old adage but the title of the book doesn't give the full adage. If you can work it out - leave a comment. ( )
  smik | Dec 4, 2021 |
This was great on audio! It was hard to stop listening to at night! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Nov 21, 2021 |
We know that apples don’t fall far from the tree, and Liane Moriarty knows how to drive the point home with her well-rounded, engaging, relatable characters. For top billing, she creates Stan and Joy Delaney, tennis champs, prior owners of a tennis academy, and parents of four adult tennis players. They have a long-term marriage and work relationship. Their offspring are treasured in their lives even though not one of their children has become a world-renowned tennis star. Additionally, none has maintained a long-term relationship stable enough to produce a grandchild. Joy wonders what she and Stan might have done wrong in modeling marriage, but she also believes they have done many things right since all four children are independent and successful, depending on how you measure success.

The Delaney children, Amy, Logan, Brooke, and Troy, live on somewhat different life paths, but they are seemingly together in spirit when Joy, their mother, disappears. While trying to figure out where Mom might have gone or whether someone, such as their father was capable of murdering her, we learn much about their upbringing and family dynamics. We also become acquainted with Harry Haddad, a tennis star who began his early tennis career with Stan Delaney but left for a different coach and tennis center. Another interesting character who could also be a murder suspect is Savannah, a pathological liar who convinces Stan and Joy to allow her to live with them.

There are many exciting plot points and conversations that provide intrigue to this well-crafted novel. Liane Moriarty is the master storyteller, and this is one of her finest works.
  LindaLoretz | Nov 20, 2021 |
I have LOVED every one of Liane Moriarty's previous books --- this one really had me complaining out loud because it took SO long to get to what really seemed to BE the story. I completely understand all the details in the buildup being necessary but it just seemed to take the first 300 pages to GET there. Yes, a completely clever story that has amazing pieces that interweave to keep the reader going. I did not care for ANY of the characters in the beginning but they definitely grow on you as the pages turn. ( )
  nyiper | Nov 19, 2021 |
Amazing how every little detail is important and accounted for. Every. Little. Detail.
(Spoken as a former tennis mom.) ( )
  bookczuk | Nov 19, 2021 |
For my mother, with love
The bike lay on the side of the road beneath a gray oak, the handlebars at an odd, jutted angle, as if it had been thrown with angry force.
That was the secret of a happy marriage: step away from the rage.
The point of history is to learn from it, not repeat it.
Amazing to think something beautiful could lie beneath the ugliness and all you had to do was peel it away.
Once you’ve hit a ball there’s no point in watching to see where it’s going. You can’t change its flight path now. You have to think  about your next move. Not what you should have done. What you do now.
So that’s how she lived with it. She did it the way so many people lived with their regrets and mistakes. They simply rewrote their stories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,509,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible