HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The War Nurse: A Novel

by Tracey Enerson Wood

"Any readers who enjoyed the mix of romance, intrigue, and medical accuracy of Call the Midwifewill love The War Nurse."--New York Journal of Books Based on a true story, The War Nurseis a sweeping historical novel by USA Todaybestselling author Tracey Enerson Wood that takes readers on an unforgettable journey through WWI France. She asked dozens of young women to lay their lives on the line during the Great War. Can she protect them? Superintendent of Nurses Julia Stimson must recruit sixty-four nurses to relieve the battle-worn British, months before American troops are ready to be deployed. She knows that the young nurses serving near the front lines of will face a challenging situation, but nothing could have prepared her for the chaos that awaits when they arrive at British Base Hospital 12 in Rouen, France. The primitive conditions, a convoluted, ineffective system, and horrific battle wounds are enough to discourage the most hardened nurses, and Julia can do nothing but lead by example--even as the military doctors undermine her authority and make her question her very place in the hospital tent. When trainloads of soldiers stricken by a mysterious respiratory illness arrive one after the other, overwhelming the hospital's limited resources, and threatening the health of her staff, Julia faces an unthinkable choice--to step outside the bounds of her profession and risk the career she has fought so hard for, or to watch the people she cares for most die in her arms. Fans of Martha Hall Kelly's Lost Rosesand Marie Benedict's Lady Clementinewill devour this mesmerizing celebration of some of the most overlooked heroes in history: the fierce, determined, and brave nurses who treated soldiers in World War I. Praise for The War Nurse: "[An] impeccably researched, well-drawn, based-on-a-true-story tale, written by a former RN...The War Nurseshines an important light on a woman whose story was, until now, lost to time." --Kristin Harmel, New York Timesbestselling author of The Book of Lost Names "Through careful research, this book shows the incredible bravery and compassion of women who find themselves in extraordinary situations." --Julia Kelly, international bestselling author of The Last Garden in Englandand The Light Over London "A rich, gripping history of one woman's lifelong battle against systemic prejudice." --Stewart O'Nan, award-winning author of The Good Wife "Once again, Tracey Enerson Wood, with her impeccable research and evocative prose, kept me glued to the page. Wood has a talent for bringing strong, yet lesser-known women from history, to life." --Linda Rosen, author of The Disharmony of Silence "A riveting and surprisingly timely story of courage, sacrifice, and friendship forged at the front lines." --Kelly Mustian, author of The Girls in the Stilt House "If you, like me, are a voyeur of historical drama that unfolds as if the kitchen window flew open and the characters were caught in action, then The War Nurseis for you." --Diane Dewey, author of Fixing the Fates "Fans of Patricia Harman will love Wood's treatment of medical expertise in a historical setting." --Booklist… (more)

This was a really great book. Julia is the Superintendent of Nurses and has to recruit 65 nurses to take with her over to the war front. Throughout the book, you learn what is important to her and how she musters through the daily challenges the war brings to her front door. I loved how Tracey wrote this, almost as if you’re a fly on the wall and just out of reach throughout the entire book. It’s a different viewpoint of WWI, as I haven’t read a book that solely is focused on nursing the wounded of the war. I highly recommend this one as I couldn’t put it down, wanting to know what was going to happen next. There’s a good mix of nursing and day to day life all while living in a war zone. ( )
  dabutkus | Sep 4, 2022 |
I received a copy of the book from BookBrowse, An enjoyable, informative historical fictionalized account of the important role nurses played during World War I focusing on Julia Stimson and the nurses under her command. All of the characters, based on true persons the author researched especially from the book Julia’s father wrote, “Finding Themselves,” which is a compilation of Julia’s letters to her father are well-developed and their stories during the time period especially how they interacted with one another are engaging. Julia Stimson’s successes, frustrations, and yes failures as the Superintendent of Nurses in particular is engaging because she must fight for implementing her discoveries and procedures, and care for nurses under her command when they think they are failing or not feeling well. The critical role the nurses played, as discussed in the book was so underappreciated and often negated by the doctors. Tracey Enerson Wood captures these stories making the reader contemplate: how much do we as readers know and appreciate less visible figures during critical times? ( )
  Carrieida | Jul 10, 2021 |
The War Nurse by Tracey Enerson Wood is a historical novel of the Great War in France. Based on a true story of World War I nursing. Nursing practice was very different from what we know today. Influence of the development of procedural changes in emergency intake, radiological technique, oxygen delivery to patients and other practices are still evident today. I smiled at one of the physician‘s descriptions of the roles of physicians and nurses. Some things never change.
I wish I had asked nurses from previous generations more about their nursing experiences but reading this book answered many of my questions. Ms. Wood provides excellent historical details and insights into early 20th Century medical practices. I highly recommend this book to anyone who lives and loves medicine.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. I appreciate the opportunity and thank the author and publisher for allowing me to read, enjoy and review this book. 5 Stars ( )
  CassiesBooksReader | Jul 4, 2021 |
1917-18, WW1, nursing, combat, historical-novel, historical-places-events, historical-research, history-and-culture, family, France, friendship, relationships*****

Julia Stinson was a real person with the kind of background and experiences portrayed in this book of fictionalized history. She was as real as Barnes Hospital, The Great War, the American Red Cross, and The US Army Nurse Corps. This book brings her story to light even as it demonstrates how far (and not) nursing (and warfare) have come in the last one hundred years. The publisher's blurb does a good job of preparing the reader for what's to come, so there is no need for me to further summarize. I really enjoyed the read.
This is not exactly an unbiased review as I retired from nursing after nearly fifty years.
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from SOURCEBOOKS Landmark via NetGalley. Thank you! ( )
  jetangen4571 | May 17, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,959,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible