The Light Through the Leaves: A Novel by…

The Light Through the Leaves: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Glendy Vanderah (Author)

Go on a powerful journey of forgiveness and healing with The Light Through the Leaves, a transcendent novel of love, loss, and self-discovery by the Wall Street Journal bestselling author of Where the Forest Meets the Stars. One unbearable mistake at the edge of the forest. In a moment of crisis, Ellis Abbey leaves her daughter, Viola, unattended--for just a few minutes. But when she returns, Viola is gone. A breaking point in an already fractured marriage, Viola's abduction causes Ellis to disappear as well--into grief, guilt, and addiction. Convinced she can only do more harm to her family, Ellis leaves her husband and young sons, burying her desperate ache for her children deeper with every step into the mountain wildernesses she treks alone. In a remote area of Washington, a young girl named Raven keeps secrets inside, too. She must never speak to outsiders about how her mother makes miracles spring from the earth, or about her father, whose mysterious presence sometimes frightens her. Raven spends her days learning how to use her rare gifts--and more important, how to hide them. With each lesson comes a warning of what dangers lie in the world beyond her isolated haven. But despite her mother's cautions, Raven finds herself longing for something more. As Ellis and Raven each confront their powerful longings, their journeys will converge in unexpected and hopeful ways, pulled together by the forces of nature, love, and family.… (more)
Member:AthenaR
Title:The Light Through the Leaves: A Novel
Authors:Glendy Vanderah (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2021), 465 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Work Information

The Light Through the Leaves by Glendy Vanderah

I loved "Where the Forest Meets the Stars" which was the debut novel by this author, so I was keen to read her second book. Although I didn't like "The Light Through the Leaves" quite as much as her first novel, this grew on me the more I read.

Both Ellis and Raven faced many hardships including mental illness, guilt, substance abuse and grief. However, Ellis and Raven were both strong females and I enjoyed their dual narrative. When I left one for the other, I was disappointed until I became immersed once again in the other story. From the first chapter I was captured and totally engrossed in the lives of Ellis and Raven.

The only disappointment was in the last few chapters. The ending was too "Disney" for my liking, especially considering how raw and traumatic the rest of the novel was, with ALL the characters living happily-ever-after.

The author has a deep love of nature and this comes through in her writing. The descriptions of the woods, plants and animals brought them alive and added a touch of magic. Overall, a heart-warming story about friendship, forgiveness and healing. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Oct 30, 2021 |
When I finished “Where the Forest Meets the Stars” I hoped that it wasn’t a one-off for Glendy Vanderah. Her writing ability abounds. She has written another phenomenal story about fractured people and families. She has taken on a multitude of difficult issues and highlights the destructiveness of guilt and inability to confront. But she also embraces love, diversity, kindness and hope and has written the most extraordinary book. ( )
  kimkimkim | Apr 17, 2021 |
Ellis seems to have it all; the perfect family, the wonderful husband and a wonderful life. But all is not as it seems for one day Ellis sees something that blows her dreamworld wild open and her reactionary fog to to what she sees combined with ill behaved toddlers has her forgetting her infant for just long enough for the baby to vanish. What follows is the destruction of her marriage, the wholesale disdain of her community, and her complete loss of self.

Elsewhere a woman with beliefs that few understand is raising a girl. Since that child has been old enough to understand she has told her she is a gift of the forest and a child of a raven spirit. So much so that she has named her Raven. As Raven gets older she starts to ask questions and wants to know more about the children that come to play in the stream at the border of her world.

Raven befriends the children and by default their parents. Her mother encourages her in her relationship with a young boy to the point of telling her to enjoy sex – that she can’t get pregnant because she is part raven. Not knowing any better Raven enjoys her relationship but we all know that things are not going to work out well here.

I’m not going to spoil the story despite what might seem obvious. There is much more to this novel than the simple tale of a kidnapping and two separate lives. It’s two separately complex stories that ultimately come together but not without some twists and turns.

The writing is as magical as the light through the leaves and despite some implausibilities in the story I found myself carried away by the magic Ms. Vanderah created. Don’t look for reality where it isn’t and don’t let reality control your emotions and you will be rewarded with a story that takes you away from your everyday into a world where anything is available for the asking. ( )
  BooksCooksLooks | Apr 1, 2021 |
I chose this book through a first reads selection on Amazon, I didn't actually think it would affect me as it did but it's a powerful story about mental health, family, tragedy and starting over just to have life come full circle and make you whole again. I don't do it often but I may even read this book again. ( )
  Silversi | Mar 19, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,536,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible