The First Day of Spring: A Novel by Nancy…

The First Day of Spring: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Nancy Tucker (Author)

"Tense, addictive and powered by an unforgettable narrative voice." - PAULA HAWKINS "A stunning debut...Suspenseful? You bet. Heart-rending? From beginning to end."--The Washington Post   "Gripping...The voices of Chrissie and Julia reside deep in your skull: visceral and wicked, sad and wonderful, all at the same time." --The New York Times  "Fans of Lisa Jewell and smart psychological suspense will eagerly await Tucker's next." --Publishers Weekly, STARRED review "So that was all it took," I thought. "That was all it took for me to feel like I had all the power in the world. One morning, one moment, one yellow-haired boy. It wasn't so much after all." Meet Chrissie...   Chrissie is eight and she has a secret: she has just killed a boy. The feeling made her belly fizz like soda pop. Her playmates are tearful and their mothers are terrified, keeping them locked indoors. But Chrissie rules the roost -- she's the best at wall-walking, she knows how to get free candy, and now she has a feeling of power that she never gets at home, where food is scarce and attention scarcer.     Twenty years later, adult Chrissie is living in hiding under a changed name. A single mother, all she wants is for her daughter to have the childhood she herself was denied. That's why the threatening phone calls are so terrifying. People are looking for them, the past is catching up, and Chrissie fears losing the only thing in this world she cares about, her child.      Nancy Tucker leaves the reader breathless as she inhabits her protagonist with a shocking authenticity that moves the reader from sympathy to humor to horror to heartbreak and back again.… (more)
Member:sueprice56
Title:The First Day of Spring: A Novel
Authors:Nancy Tucker (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2021), 352 pages

Work Information

The First Day of Spring: A Novel by Nancy Tucker

Wow, first novels don't get much better than this. I would have given it 5 stars, except I wasn't itching to pick it back up each day, and I learned in THE GUARDIAN (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/jun/18/the-best-recent-and-thrillers-revi...) that the story bears a striking resemblance to the Mary Bell case (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Bell). Slightly disappointing that THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING didn't all sprout from Nancy Tucker's imagination. Nonetheless, great novel! The characters were so life-life, and in parts the book is a black comedy. The jacket copy mentioned "humor and horror" — that's a good way of putting it. Can't wait for Tucker's next novel!!! ( )
  JohnnyOstentatious | Jul 29, 2021 |
A dark and disturbing story partly narrated by Chrissie, an eight year old girl, who has murdered a two year old boy and partly narrated by Julia, an older version of Chrissie, who now has a child of her own. I believe it’s loosely based on the Mary Bell case. It’s quite a harrowing tale but beautifully written. It’s also thought provoking as it brings to mind the nature vs nurture scenario. The author has brilliantly imagined and delved into the warped mind of such a tormented child, one who has been neglected and emotionally abused by those who are supposed to be caring for her. I found it an unsettling and heartbreaking read so I’m glad it ended on a note of hope. ( )
  VanessaCW | Jun 25, 2021 |
This was a heartbreaking tearjerker and I loved it. I felt for Chrissie and the other children, none of who deserved what happened to them. I even cared about Chrissie's Mam, who was not a sympathetic character. ( )
  kgramer | Mar 31, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,140,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible