Ashling (1995)

by Isobelle Carmody

Series: The Obernewtyn Chronicles (3)

The powerful farseeker Elspeth Gordie is sent to Sutrium, seat of the totalitarian council that rules the Land, to seal an alliance between the secret Misfit community at Obernewtyn and rebel forces. The journey takes her far beyond the borders of the Land, across the sea and into the heart of the mysterious desert region of Sador, where she seeks help to destroy the weaponmachines. But before her dark quest can begin, Elspeth must learn the truth of her dreams: she must understand why the Beforetimers destroyed their world ...… (more)

4.5 This was a slight bit of a repeat of the previous instalment [b:The Farseekers|47906|The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2)|Isobelle Carmody|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1312026259s/47906.jpg|3282469]. I also noticed a few flaws I did not the first four times I read and reread this when it was the only Obernewtyn book I owned. Still, one of my favourite of the installments as it sets up well for the events to come in [b:The Keeping Place|47905|The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)|Isobelle Carmody|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1194379724s/47905.jpg|3268254], which is so far my favourite of all the books. I'm so glad I decided to do this reread of the series instead of just jumping into [b:The Sending|6000352|The Sending (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #6)|Isobelle Carmody|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1358564866s/6000352.jpg|6175207]. I can't wait to find out more. And poor Dragon, she's one of my favourite characters. That scene makes me sad every time I read it :(. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Lots of adventures and journeys - many themes to continue in the next books! ( )
  siri51 | Sep 3, 2020 |
Rebels, misfits and an impending war that's about to start. What could possibly go wrong?

The misfits have finally found a path in which they grow. ( )
  DaffiMere | Nov 19, 2015 |
Ashling is the third book in The Obernwetyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody which was first published in 1995. I'm really enjoying this series. Elspeth is becoming a young woman in Ashling. She is slowly learning and very slowly accepting her fate of being the savior of Obernewtyn and the animals. It's a lot for someone only about eighteen to take on, but Elspeth takes on the necessary responsibilities and grows ever stronger as a result. She knows she can rely on help from her friends, human and animal alike. It's a good series for older children through adults to enjoy! ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 28, 2014 |
Plot: 4 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 4 stars
I actually liked this one better than the first two in the series. Hope they keep getting better. They read more on level with Rick Riordan and other middle grade authors than full YA, but still enjoyable. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |

Isobelle Carmodyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Helen Stannard-Williams, for the most endearing love of all: friendship

and for Scott Do you now fly the spirit trails you sought in life?
At first sight, the gypsy woman appeared to be embracing the stake.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,339,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible