Obernewtyn #1 Obernewtyn (The Obernewtyn…

Obernewtyn #1 Obernewtyn (The Obernewtyn Chronicles) (original 2011; edition 1997)

by Isobelle Carmody (Author)

When she is exiled to Obernewtyn after her psychic abilities are discovered, Elspeth encounters others with powers like her own and discovers dark secrets concerning the ambitious overlords who control the destinies of all the outcasts.
Member:Fourbee4
Title:Obernewtyn #1 Obernewtyn (The Obernewtyn Chronicles)
Authors:Isobelle Carmody (Author)
Info:Penguin Australia (1997), Edition: Re-issue, 250 pages

Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody (2011)

English (33)  German (1)  All languages (34)

It's a bit duller the second time as I know what's going to happen, but I still love this series and can't wait to finally know what happens at the end. This world is so cool and creepy and everything I want it to be. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Somewhat complicated plot but a good read .... post apocalyptic, far seeking, communication with animals, torture of orphans, distant farms, misfits and escape plots .... and many more books in the series 😃 ( )
  siri51 | Aug 8, 2020 |
I thought this book looked fairly interesting at first, and I wasn't completely disappointed. But unfortunately the writing style is too lacking for me to really get into this book, which is sad because has a good premise.

Elspeth Gordie has always had a strange mind power, but she must hide it at all costs. She lives in a world after a terrible disaster called the Great White annihilated most of the world's population, leaving only a Council of paranoid, uneducated people to make decisions for everyone. The Council is guided by an order of religious zealots called Herders, who ban books and hunt down Misfits, children born with various mental powers.

Elspeth is terrified when she is discovered by an emissary from a mountain hideaway called Obernewtyn, a special camp just for Misfits. Once there, she discovers dark secrets about the place and struggles with her own powers and the ever-present issue of who to trust.

Despite this great background, the first-person narration unfortunately stumbles. Elspeth is two-dimensional and so is almost everyone she meets and befriends. There's not all that much action, and while some parts are exciting, there was a lot of drag in between. I also got frustrated with the strange jumps and skips in time, personality, and situation; it was almost as though the book had been poorly edited. A lot happens "offscreen", which at times makes the author almost seem lazy for not bothering to actually show us the events.

I might continue in the series, but not if they're all going to be this draggy and shallowly plotted. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
Post nuclear winter novels about adolescents with new abilities in a conservative future world. Australian writer!
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Slow to start but gets better. A lot of the first couple of chapters is world building. Can totally see why Isobel Carmody has such a following. And why they are hanging out for the end of this series. Great one for pre teen good readers ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Blends graceful storytelling with appealing characters.

Isobelle Carmodyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Brenda
Introduction:
In the days following the holocaust, which came to be known as the Great White, there was death and madness.

Chapter 1:
Before first light we set out for the Silent Vale.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140178546, 0143204785

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,286,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible