The Inheritance of Orquídea Divina: A Novel…

The Inheritance of Orquídea Divina: A Novel (edition 2021)

by Zoraida Cordova (Author)

Member:PaMi.Eliza
Title:The Inheritance of Orquídea Divina: A Novel
Authors:Zoraida Cordova (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2021), 336 pages

Work Information

The Inheritance of Orquídea Divina by Zoraida Córdova

too floral
  iewi | Dec 22, 2021 |
Marimar and her cousin Rey and their relatives return to their family home where the matriarch, Orquidea Divina Montoya, has called them all back to receive their inheritance. She has always had magic and a deep secret that the family does not know, but it's now coming back to trouble them.

Every other chapter is set in the narrative present, while the others delve into Orquidea's past, so the reader ends up knowing more of her story than any of the other characters who try to discover it. Magic and family secrets should be my jam, but this book did not have the same sparkle for me that Labyrinth Lost did. Don't get me wrong, it's fast paced and entertaining, but it didn't live up to my high expectations. The world of Orquidea Divina is more magical realism than the elaborate world building and magical systems that I prefer, with elements seemingly added in a haphazardly convenient way instead of feeling integral to the story. And it was told more like a fable or a fairy tale, leaving me feeling like I couldn't really get close to any of the characters and their motivations. ( )
  bell7 | Nov 12, 2021 |
PW; Buzzfeed; Popsugar
  jmorigeau | Nov 10, 2021 |
This is beautiful. Absolutely readable magical realism, balancing imagery with a riveting plot. I would read another three.

My actual review will run over at Shelf Awareness sometime around August 7.
I received an early digital copy from the publisher (via my editor) for review. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
This book is filled with family secrets, generational wisdom and pain, magic, a circus, and so much more! I loved this book so much, it is definitely a new favorite! I will admit though, it did take me about a month to read as I would read some and put it down for a while and it didn’t really pick up for me until the third part, but I sped through the last 100 pages quickly. It is told through dual timelines and alternating perspectives, but I think the ending really brought home why every character was important and it was the family system (and dysfunction of a family) as a whole that this book was about. I really enjoyed the connection I felt with the characters and their journey and it was written in such a beautiful but easy to read way. The author not only brought the magic to life but made it as relatable as if it was something to be expected instead of questioned. Highly recommend for those wanting a book about connecting to your roots with some magical realism elements and family drama/secrets. (A good Día de los Muertos read.) ( )
  ToriC90 | Nov 1, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,241,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible