Lethal Liaisons

by Deanna King

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great book. I love crime novels and this is a great one. I hope this book is the first in a series. I definitely recommend this book. ( )
  LittleMama | Jul 1, 2021 |
A twisted tale of crime. I loved the book and had a good time trying to be one step ahead of Jack. ( )
  adasr | May 22, 2021 |
Review of eBook

There’s a killer on the loose in Houston and homicide detective Jack West finds his case might be connected to one detectives Xi Chang and Jace Severson are working. It’s far from certain, though; so far, they’ve discovered no connection, no commonality, between the victims. Still . . . .

With the discovery of a third victim, killed in the same unique manner as the first two victims, it’s clear that there’s a serial killer in Houston. Will Jack and his team track down the killer before someone else becomes a victim?

Although this works as a stand-alone, it is the second book in the Jack West mystery series. The characters are well-developed, nuanced, and believable; the questions surrounding the victims and the killer are intriguing and keep the pages turning. The plot takes some unexpected twists and turns along the way to its surprising denouement.

Even though the story concludes with the major plot points resolved, some loose ends remain; the unanswered questions are likely to frustrate some readers. Additionally, character nicknames often seem forced and make little sense; after the third or fourth explanation of why someone has a particular nickname, it becomes an annoyance and detracts from the story being told.

While the story is intriguing, it desperately needs the services of a good editor. Sentences such as “It the right thing to do . . . .” or “As soon as my partner finishes with you husband . . . .” join far too many awkward or fragmented sentences, all pulling the reader out of the telling of the tale. In addition, the overuse of an offensive expletive demeans the officers, insults the reader, and lowers the rating for this book.

I received a free copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early Readers program ( )
  jfe16 | May 17, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It’s a twisted tale of murder that any mystery and suspense fan should surely love. The characters are absolutely wonderful...especially Detective Jack West. The author brings them to life with some humor, lots of suspense, and colorful personalities. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite series...can’t wait for the next one.. Be sure to read Book 1... [Twist of Fate] ... as it will get you better acquainted with Detective Jack West and believe me, he is someone that you will diffidently want to become better acquainted with.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Black Rose Writing in exchange for an honest opinion. The views expressed by this reviewer are entirely my own. ( )
  Carol420 | May 16, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Let’s start with the plot. We have an opening scene that grabs the reader’s attention, an exciting scene at the end with the last minute heroics expected of the genre, and in between a well thought out series of events that keeps us turning the pages. The author has shown an active imagination and, to the layman, a pretty good knowledge of police procedures. There are many twists and turns as the story unfolds, and we readers are just as much in the dark as the detectives on the case until the final chapter.

This is the second “Jack West novel”, and I have not read the first. That was not a problem, although I might have understood the characters a little better had I done so. Jack is a seasoned detective, highly regarded by the other members of his team, and they seem very comfortable with giving him the lead in their investigations. Jack is on vacation when a murder victim is found by a real estate agent and her clients in a house for sale. When he returns he and his partner Dawson Luck catch another murder case. Because of certain similarities, they team up with two other detectives working the first case. Clues are scarce, so they are diverted to what turns out to be a gang killing, but no sooner is that solved than a third victim is found and this time there is little doubt; a serial killer seems to be involved. However, it takes weeks of work to find the connections between the victims and a possible motivation for the killer. This lengthy investigation leads to the surprising ending.

So far, so good. However, there are some facets of the novel that I did not find as entertaining. There was an attempt by the author to put in some comic scenes, but in my opinion they mostly fell flat or were overused. For example, the old stereotype of cops eating doughnuts was carried too far. Dawson Luck’s joking around with female law enforcement people did not strike me as funny. I also thought nicknames were overdone. Vince Stoner became “Cheech”, Bennie Guay “Ben-Gay”, Becca Brenner “BB”, Jack was followed by “Sprat”, “Rabbit”, “& the Beanstalk” and on and on. Kudos for one nickname, though. Xi Chang was 11, a play on the Roman numeral represented by his first name.

There was also a great deal written about Captain Brooks. He had been recently promoted to head the homicide department, and much was made of his obsession with Jack, and Jack’s (and the teams’) dislike of the man. There was never an explanation as to where this was going and I saw no connection with the plot.

To sum up, this was quite a good story but with a few spots that I thought fell short or were superfluous. ( )
  etheredge | May 15, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Deanna King's book Lethal Liaisons was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,100,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible