Daughter of the Deep (B&N Exclusive Edition)

Daughter of the Deep (B&N Exclusive Edition)

Ana Dakkar is a freshman at Harding-Pencroft Academy, a five-year high school that graduates the best marine scientists, naval warriors, navigators, and underwater explorers in the world. Ana's parents died while on a scientific expedition two years ago, and the only family's she's got left is her older brother, Dev, also a student at HP. Ana's freshman year culminates with the class's weekend trial at sea, the details of which have been kept secret. She only hopes she has what it'll take to succeed. All her worries are blown out of the water when, on the bus ride to the ship, Ana and her schoolmates witness a terrible tragedy that will change the trajectory of their lives. But wait, there's more. The professor accompanying them informs Ana that their rival school, Land Institute, and Harding-Pencroft have been fighting a cold war for a hundred and fifty years. Now that cold war has been turned up to a full broil, and the freshman are in danger of becoming fish food. In a race against deadly enemies, Ana will make amazing friends and astounding discoveries about her heritage as she puts her leadership skills to the test for the first time.… (more)
Member:durhamquartet
Title:Daughter of the Deep (B&N Exclusive Edition)
Authors:
Info:Disney-Hyperion

Work Information

Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan

Rick Riordan brings to life the story of the 20,000 leagues under the sea. What if it wasn't fiction? What if Nemo and his inventions had been real? We follow the future generations as two schools compete for Nemo's inventions.

This is my least favorite Rick Riordan story thus far. I found it to be overly dramatic and the story lacking. I am inspired to read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea though. ( )
  ArcherKel | Aug 17, 2022 |
As always, Uncle Rick knocks it out of the park. Really excellent. ( )
  FaithBurnside | Aug 17, 2022 |
CW/TW: Familial death, injury, violence, scary situations
REVIEW: Ever since the first Percy Jackson book came out, Rick Riordan has been one of my favorite authors. This book changes nothing. Based on Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, this book follows Ana Dakkar, Captain Nemo’s direct descendent as she finds the Nautilis and learns about her past while attempting to safeguard her future.

This books, like all of Riordan’s, has a diverse cast of unique characters and I found myself really liking and feeling for Ana. I hope this is the first of a new series because I am looking forward to reading more! ( )
  Anniik | Apr 24, 2022 |
Read Fully till 269 then skipped multiple pages and read random ages till the end.
So stopped readingFully: 269 before skipping some pages and reading some pages but not all.
I am counting this toward 2021 since I did skip some pages but ultimately read about 85 percent of the whole book.
This is a painful thing to say.

2.5/5 stars
I have loved, hated and not finished Riordan Books. I have only ever rated 2 Riordan books low, Trials of Apollo Book 1 and Mark of Athena, this one is now on that list. Ana was such a dull character, too many chapters, chapters too short, 60 something chapters for a 357-page book.
Some phrases sounded a bit like Percy. Ana was not an enjoyable narrator. I had very high expectations. ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
If you love Jules Verne, you’ll love this book. I like Jules Verne, and I liked this book.

Ana Dakkar is a freshman at the Harding-Pencroft Academy. While she and her classmates are en route to their freshman trials, they witness a horrifying event, one brought about by their school’s rival, the Land Institute. Ana will learn that the rivalry goes much deeper than a simple competition, and that her ancestry is a huge part of it. Now Ana and her mates are competing in the greatest race of their lives to save the world, and she will discover the true leader inside of her she never knew she had.

What I liked: great cast of characters. Interesting plot, very reminiscent of 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. I love that Ana’s character shows tremendous growth, and I appreciate the dynamic of the relationships, both with new friends and old ones. It was a fun read.

What I didn’t like: honestly, it was my least favorite of the Riordan books. It lacked the quirkiness of the mythological gods that all the others have that make them so great. It also took me a while to connect with Ana, and though I did eventually, I never fully connected with her, like I have with other protagonists in his books. I know it isn’t fair to compare, but it’s hard not to when I have loved all his others books so much.

However, despite it not being my favorite, it was still a good book, and a must read if you are a Jules Verne fan.

3.5 out of 5 stars ( )
  AlbaArango | Dec 5, 2021 |
Nature's creative power is far beyond man's instinct of destruction.

—Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
My journey under the sea started in landlocked Bologna, Italy, in 2008. (introduction)
Here's the thing about life-shattering days.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,344,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible