A Home for the Windswept

by Karri L. Moser

1381,529,866 (3.5)None
Great Northern Paper Mill is the lifeblood of Winsockette, Maine until the tech boom and recession of 2008 cause the mill's closure. This leaves Darcy and Basil Sullivan scrambling to support their growing family. When Basil is drunkenly desperate, a news report about a devastating tornado ravaging small town Nebraska changes everything. This sparks an idea. Basil believes Man's greed has taken everything from them, and God's wrath will provide if they move to Nebraska to rebuild tornado damage. As they begin a cross-country journey that tests their resolve and resourcefulness, a pregnant Darcy is torn between following the love of her life or fleeing back to Maine. She fears his breakthrough is really a breakdown. Basil, who sees his quest as a calling from God, begins to realize moving his family to tornado alley to profit from the loss of others could be what rips them apart forever.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a great, quick read with a great story. I really enjoyed it for the most part. Thank you for sending it to me!
  taylorkillpack13 | Aug 1, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sadly this was a DNF for me.
  SavannahHendricks | Jul 26, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like this book in general. Human beings are weakened in facing to natural disasters as reflected in this novel. Yet, people continuously change habitats to adapt themselves to the environment. In this book, the successful portrays of characters and sudden change on their livings lay the foundation of how the story develops. I recommend this book because of the strength and endurance of main characters. ( )
  Fei999799 | Jul 15, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was so excited to read A Home for the Windswept. I have been obsessed with weather, especially tornadoes, for as long as I can remember. Since I live in Texas, and we get severe weather all the time, it's hard not to have at least some form of respect for nature. The beginning held promise, with me immediately admiring and understanding the plight that Darcy and her family finds themselves in. I too was a young mother that struggled in the beginning, so the connection and empathy was there. Darcy narrates throughout and her thoughts are mirrored by thoughts from my own past, and for the first half of the novel I couldn't put it down...that is until the language got to be too much for me.

Don't get me wrong, I normally do not have a problem with bad language, and can normally block it out, but when the Lord's name is taken in vain over and over, I just cannot handle it. I tried to continue on, thoroughly intrigued with where the plot was taking the story, but it got to a point where I couldn't take the language anymore, making the rest of the book practically unreadable. I gave two stars because if the language would've been toned down I could've seen enjoying this book, and truly hate that I couldn't finish it, though I did skip to the end and read the last few chapters just so I would see where the family ends up. The ending was good, making it even harder for me not to go back and read the last half, but it is what it is.

If language doesn't bother you, then by all means read A Home for the Windswept. I really think you'll like this unique, yet relatable story. The authors writing is pretty great, pulling you into the story quickly, and giving a clear picture of a struggling family that is fighting to find a way out of their dire situation. If you're sensitive to profanity, I would sadly say to give this novel a pass. It's just a little too much.

*I have voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from Black Rose Writing through LibraryThing Early Reviews. All views and opinions expressed are completely honest, and my own. ( )
  cflores0420 | Jun 8, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Home for the Windswept by Karri L. Moser is about some life changing moments that are largely based on faith. Faith in family, faith in your life partner, and faith in God. Darcy is a young mother and wife, raising her kids in a small paper mill town when that livelihood comes to an end. The struggle to stay in this town or trust in her husbands moment of clarity and faith in God, to move halfway across the country to begin anew in the unknown weighs heavy on her and her unborn child. These life decisions are hard on everyone but the call to a place that was damaged by recent tornados is an even scarier prospect. I feel the author did a great job describing this type of place and showed us a community that believes in picking yourself up by your bootstraps and working together in faith and love for all. ( )
  reader247 | Jun 2, 2021 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Karri L. Moser's book A Home for the Windswept was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,876,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible