Today at the Bluebird Cafe: A Branchful of Birds

by Deborah Ruddell

A collection of poems about different bird personalities.

A world of birds unfolds in 22 vivid poems that capture the unique personalities of birds from backyard bluejays to toucans.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 10, 2021 |
This book was awesome. One reason why I liked it so much was because the topic of the book is birds. There are so many types of birds in this book. A child reading this may become inspired to learn more about a type of bird, and I think that is totally awesome. With 22 poems in the book, that is 22 types of birds! Absolutely awesome.
Another reason I liked this book was because of the illustrations. Illustrations mean a lot to me, and with birds being the topic of this book, I enjoy that the illustrations are fairly representative of what the birds actually look like. This only further promotes children looking into this topic further. I think this type of book can lead students into a science field, which would be great. One particularly awesome illustration in this book was the eagle in the poem "The Eagle". So awesome.
The main idea of this book is to teach kids about birds in verse. ( )
  lmalak1 | Jun 9, 2014 |
The poems displayed in this book are exceptionally thoughtful and fun. Using birds as an unexpectedly wonderful topic, it explores not only the characteristics and personalities of these birds – but the imaginative play of a child’s mind. This would be an excellent book to use in a poetry unit, or in an animal or bird unit to incorporate fun poetry. The nonsense language would make it more appropriate for middle to upper level K-8 classrooms. ( )
  aleigh_davis | Dec 4, 2013 |
The selection of poems describes twenty-two different birds. The creative rhythmic descriptions are supported by sensitive and whimsical illustrations. The author helps the reader examine many common birds and adds interesting details about the loon, puffin, and the toucan. Readers experiences the details for each bird from the descriptive words and colorful language. The illustrations provide great detail of the wold and actions for each bird. ( )
  rnelson12 | May 30, 2013 |
All the short poems contained in this book are about different kinds of birds. I liked that each poem relayed an interesting fact about each of the species of bird. The illustrations are very attractive and are mixed between true-to-life and anthropomorphic images.
  AshleyWheeler | May 29, 2013 |

A collection of poems about different bird personalities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,566,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible