A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell…

A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes) (original 1995; edition 2014)

by Laurie R King (Author)

Series: Mary Russell (2), Mary Russell: Chronological Order (December 1920-February 1921)

Winner of the Nero Wolfe Award It is 1921 and Mary Russell--Sherlock Holmes's brilliant apprentice, now an Oxford graduate with a degree in theology--is on the verge of acquiring a sizable inheritance. Independent at last, with a passion for divinity and detective work, her most baffling mystery may now involve Holmes and the burgeoning of a deeper affection between herself and the retired detective. Russell's attentions turn to the New Temple of God and its leader, Margery Childe, a charismatic suffragette and a mystic, whose draw on the young theology scholar is irresistible. But when four bluestockings from the Temple turn up dead shortly after changing their wills, could sins of a capital nature be afoot? Holmes and Russell investigate, as their partnership takes a surprising turn.… (more)
Member:PriyankiDey
Title:A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes)
Authors:Laurie R King (Author)
Info:Allison & Busby (2014), Edition: UK ed.

Work Information

A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King (1995)

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers (zembla)
    zembla: Both feature good banter, a mystery set in a mostly-female environment, and a tentative romance between the sleuth protagonists.

The continuation of The Beekeeper's Apprentice; Mary Russell meets through her friend Veronica Beaconsfield, Margaret Childe who leads “The New Temple of God”, a charismatic sect for women. But, could New Temple be a cover for something sinister? Several women have died and left the money to the Temple. With the help of Holmes is Mary investigating the temple by going undercover.

I discovered a couple of years after I read the first book that there were more books published after the first book. But, they had not like the first book been translated into Swedish, but I decided to buy this one the rest despite the fact that I usually didn’t read that many books in English. One can say that this was the start of me reading English books. So thank you Laurie R. King.

Mary Russell is older now and her “relationship” with Sherlock Holmes is at a crossroad, will they continue as they are or will they change the nature of their relationship. Well, that’s the question that this book deals with together with the “The New Temple of God” investigation that will put Mary’s life in danger.

Just like the first book is the story superb. I’ve read the book several times, still amazingly good. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |

Lady Veronica Beaconsfield, (Ronnie) all plump five feet one, friend
Thomas landlord couple in Oxfordshire
Patrick Mason Sussex farmer of fifty-two

First Case
Mrs. Barker. she and her husband live in the manor house. Mr Barker Goverment Official
Help Ron - butler Terrence - dogs , Mrs. Woods cook

Simpsons - Americans
Jessica’s kidnapping?

Mycroft Holmes was a founder and prime member, Diogenes Club,

John Dickson - 1908 bombing attempt on the Empire Bank
Inspector Lestrade, of Scotland Yard

Ronald MacReedy his article comparing whorls with personality traits of habitual criminals

A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #2)
Inspector Lestrade,
Margery Childe, amazing person, very sensible, a robe— peach-tinted white material, sermon like
Marie a stout, suspicious woman of about 50 grey maid’s uniform, with starched white apron
Veronica Beaconsfield, a lodgings mate in Oxford, guiltily loved beautiful things
Miles Fitzwarren Veronica asked might do about her fiancé Miles and his drug habit
Delia Laird follower, suicide
Iris Fitzwarren - follower, killed

kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Liked it, enjoyed the development of Mary's character, didn't quite buy the mysticism angle. ( )
  bardbooks | Nov 11, 2021 |
A great lesbian mystery book, except for the fact that it turns out there aren't any lesbians and the main character marries a man forty years older than herself instead. And the mystery isn't that great in the end either. Still! ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
Only 3 stars because of the disappointing & unnecessary romantic union of Mary & Sherlock. ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |

Laurie R. Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For who can deny that is repugnant to nature that the blind shall be appointed to lead and conduct such as do see, that the weak, the sick and the impotent shall nourish and keep the whole and the strong, and, finally, that the foolish, mad, and frenetic shall govern the discrete and give counsel to such as be sober of mind? And such be all women compared to man in bearing of authority.

--JOHN KNOX (1505-1572)

The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women (published in 1558 against Mary Tudor; later applied to Mary Stuart. Regiment is used in the sense of régime.)
for Zoe
το φωζ των ανθρωπων
I sat back in my chair, jabbed the cap onto my pen, threw it into the drawer, and abandoned myself to the flood of satisfaction, relief and anticipation that was let loose by that simple action.
In a minute, she jumped up again and began a prowl around the perimeter of the room, and so strong was the image of cat that I should not have been greatly surprised had she leapt up on the sideboard and threaded her way between the bottles.
At that moment, something entered the room, a thing compounded of the memory of our argument atop the hansom, of the intimacy of the hour and the place, of my thin and clinging blouse and his long legs stretched out towards the fire and of my growing sense of womanliness.
My red herring had performed its function, but I knew that this particular old hound would not be misled for long before backtracking to the main scent.
Then I sat and listened as a very different silence lowered itself onto the room.
The walls closed in, and the quiet was loud, and I was far from sleep.
I had met Sherlock Holmes at a time when adolescence and the devastating circumstances of my orphaning had left me with an exterior toughness and an interior that was malleable to the personality of anyone willing to listen to me and take me seriously. Had Holmes been a cat burglar or forger, no doubt I should have come into adulthood learning to walk parapets at night or concocting arcane inks.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,532,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible