A thousand words for stranger by Julie…

A thousand words for stranger (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Julie Czerneda

632None15,267 (3.71)39
Member:sibyx
Title:A thousand words for stranger
Authors:Julie Czerneda
Info:New York, NY : DAW Books, 2007, c1997.

A Thousand Words for Stranger by Julie E. Czerneda (1997)

aliens (12) amnesia (13) book (3) Canadian (8) Canadian author (3) DAW (7) ebook (5) fantasy (12) fiction (39) novel (5) own (4) owned (4) paperback (9) pb (4) psi (4) read (10) read in 2008 (4) romance (9) science fiction (166) series (7) sf (46) sff (20) sold (3) space (4) space opera (19) space travel (4) telepathy (6) to-read (12) Trade Pact Universe (20) unread (11)
    Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great science fiction with wonderful characterization and a convincing romance.
    Finders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Much better written novel with the same romance in a very sketchy science fiction setting

I quite liked this book, however I think the next in the series will probably be less entertaining. The reason: this book has a classic flaw, characters that are too powerful. This will no doubt turn the next books into a game of arm wrestling, or in this case mind wrestling. I may try the next book to see if I am wrong about this. ( )
  lente | Sep 6, 2013 |
Julie's debuet novel that launched her book writing career and the beginning of her Trade Pact Universe series. However, I'm not that taken by the characters or writing here, and probably wouldn't have read anything further. The continual switch between first person for Sira and third for everyone else didn't work well. It was too confusing as Sira, and too many other characters for it to be clear.

Although SIra is clearly the heroine by the end of the book, she doens't start out that way, and ht eopening third is mostly follwoing a couple of police officers as they investigate an unusual brawl on some random world. There are odd excerts of first person view as someone flees the scene. But they can't remember who they are, or what they want other than to get away safely to s spaceship.

Julie is a evolutionary biologist by professiona dn this flavours all her writing. In this case she dreamed up a race where the males have to overpower a female, leading to progeny that are increasingly powerful (and eventually a female who can't be overpowered....) It is this superfemale idea that is explored in the novel, but doesn't seem to make any sense to me. In a large enough population there's no reason for one generation of female so be so powerful than no male can succeed. But given a small population (which is trouble in itself) maybe it could happen - always the point of SF!

Other than the switching of voice I between the first and third person the rest of it was well writtne with a suitable drip feeding of ideas and continual twisting of plot to ensure no-one really knows what is going on even beyond the final action scenes - Julie does get better at pacing in her latter books, but this wasn't that bad either.

Readable, but not my favourite by this author. ( )
  reading_fox | Mar 12, 2013 |
This is a sci-fi novel (a slight departure for me) with a touch of fantasy. This is a first novel, and once I found time to read it, I enjoyed it.

The majority of the story is told in the first person by a woman who has no memories. The narrative is interspersed with short 'Interludes', told in the third person, about other characters in the story. This device does work, and gives us information that the main character doesn't have; for instance, her real name is Sira, and (though she assumes she is human), she is a humanoid alien, of a species that has psychic abilities which it wishes to continue to keep secret from other species.

While in transit on the planet Auord, Sira is attacked and separated from the rest of her party. With no memories before that point, she is rescued by Captain Morgan of the Silver Fox; and so begins an intergalactic chase, as she begins to piece together her past, and tries to understand why so many different factions want her.

I will admit to a few alarm bells (bad romance novel) going off when I discovered the hero had piercing blue eyes, but it turned out alright in the end. I found this book nicely written, with a bit of a mystery as we try to work out the secrets of Sira's past with her. An excellent first novel.

humouress | Jun 17, 2012 |
Good story learning what happened to the people from the Stratification series. New characters and races. ( )
  gregandlarry | Apr 10, 2012 |
Overall, I enjoyed the book; I always veered away from Sci-Fi, thinking that the technological and futuristic setting would take away from the characterization and plot, but this book did not. It had both well written, and intriguing characters, and an interesting, and slightly complex plot that kept my attention throughout the book.

One of favourite aspects of the book, was trying to figure out who the Clan were, what there history was, and what makes them so different. Although by the end of the book there are still a lot of unanswered questions, more than answered ones, I enjoyed learning about them and the other races of aliens in this universe. This was also one of the problems I had with the book. The background idea of the clan was great, and not knowing much about them kept me intrigued, but there were many times I was confused on some of the details of the clan, and how their psychic powers and other characteristics worked. I hope I find the answers in other books in the trilogy or prequel trilogy.

Both the characters and setting were well done. Neither is sacrificed to focus on the other, but there was a nice balance between them both. I would have liked a little more history on this universe, know more background information on the “who, whats and whys, in the book, but I think I’ll have some answers in the other books in the series. But the characters help make the book, Morgon is a favourite of mine, he reminds me of a hybrid cross between Han Solo and Malcolm Reynolds, but he still was is own character. Sira was a good character, but I’m still trying to figure her out, and who she really is. But Sira, and all the characters, seem to have a lot of depth and layers to them. As for the “space opera” aspect, I’ve seen labelled to it, I didn’t find it was anything like that. Sure there was relationships starting to form, but it wasn’t overwhelming. Again, there seems to be a nice balance between all of the different elements of the book.

Overall, a well written book, with an interesting story line, a good futuristic space adventure, and will look forward to reading more by the author.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - A Thousand Words for Stranger ( )
  bookwormjules | May 15, 2011 |

Julie E. Czernedaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Royo, LuisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sign was rain-smeared and had never been overly straight.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886777690, Mass Market Paperback)

This debut science fiction novel is the story of Sira--a woman on the run from the law, from her own people, and from an unknown figure determined to use her for his own ends. Her memory taken from her by a stasis block, she must stay free long enough to regain both her identity and the full use of her telepathic powers. The price of failure may not only be the loss of her own future, but that of her entire race.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:15 -0400)

The Clan, afraid of her power, now seeks to destroy Sira because of her choice of a human as a companion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible