A thousand words for stranger by Julie…
Member:sibyx
Title:A thousand words for stranger
Authors:Julie Czerneda
Info:New York, NY : DAW Books, 2007, c1997.
Collections:Your library, 150 Books in 2014
Rating:***1/2

A Thousand Words for Stranger by Julie E. Czerneda (1997)

Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great science fiction with wonderful characterization and a convincing romance.
    Finders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Much better written novel with the same romance in a very sketchy science fiction setting

I was looking forward to this book after reading the Stratification novel by the same author. While the story was interesting and had an decent finish, I was a little disappointed overall. The story line seemed to jump around a lot and I has some trouble following the overall plot line. My impression that this could have benefitted from a tightning up of both the story and characters and resulted in a better book.

3.5 stars for a decent ending. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
A thousand words would not be enough to express or even to explain just how magnificent, creative, thoughtful, intricate and imaginative this book and this series is. Not only is the intricate plot flawless, each species' habits and characteristic is so detailed while the individuals are varied.

A powerful heroine and an admirable hero with some of the most loveably frustrating species of unhelpfully helpful characters. The book goes beyond the genre of Science Fiction as it allows us to experience cultural differences of species and that willingness to adapt to differences of beliefs and traditions.

A touch of the romantic flows throughout but contains values of love, support and understanding; a team rather than a singular heroine and it makes the book more personal and humanistic rather than a traditional dry sci-fi model.

This is a book for those who enjoy imagination to the extreme. (Also for those who read Fantasy but are bored with the same witch/wizard/dark lord themes.) There are very few believable characters and yet, the unbelievable becomes most believable simply by being explained in such depth. The characters have telepathic and other psychic powers which always makes a story more interesting. Travelling through space and time... even more fun. With lots of adventure letting loose in myriads of strands which do come together in the end.

Beyond all the requirements of the genre of story-telling, sci-fi, etc., Czerneda is also simply a good writer. Her words flow well. ( )
  Debjani_Ray | Apr 30, 2014 |
I quite liked this book, however I think the next in the series will probably be less entertaining. The reason: this book has a classic flaw, characters that are too powerful. This will no doubt turn the next books into a game of arm wrestling, or in this case mind wrestling. I may try the next book to see if I am wrong about this. ( )
  lente | Sep 6, 2013 |
Julie's debuet novel that launched her book writing career and the beginning of her Trade Pact Universe series. However, I'm not that taken by the characters or writing here, and probably wouldn't have read anything further. The continual switch between first person for Sira and third for everyone else didn't work well. It was too confusing as Sira, and too many other characters for it to be clear.

Although SIra is clearly the heroine by the end of the book, she doens't start out that way, and ht eopening third is mostly follwoing a couple of police officers as they investigate an unusual brawl on some random world. There are odd excerts of first person view as someone flees the scene. But they can't remember who they are, or what they want other than to get away safely to s spaceship.

Julie is a evolutionary biologist by professiona dn this flavours all her writing. In this case she dreamed up a race where the males have to overpower a female, leading to progeny that are increasingly powerful (and eventually a female who can't be overpowered....) It is this superfemale idea that is explored in the novel, but doesn't seem to make any sense to me. In a large enough population there's no reason for one generation of female so be so powerful than no male can succeed. But given a small population (which is trouble in itself) maybe it could happen - always the point of SF!

Other than the switching of voice I between the first and third person the rest of it was well writtne with a suitable drip feeding of ideas and continual twisting of plot to ensure no-one really knows what is going on even beyond the final action scenes - Julie does get better at pacing in her latter books, but this wasn't that bad either.

Readable, but not my favourite by this author. ( )
  reading_fox | Mar 12, 2013 |
This is a sci-fi novel (a slight departure for me) with a touch of fantasy. This is a first novel, and once I found time to read it, I enjoyed it.

The majority of the story is told in the first person by a woman who has no memories. The narrative is interspersed with short 'Interludes', told in the third person, about other characters in the story. This device does work, and gives us information that the main character doesn't have; for instance, her real name is Sira, and (though she assumes she is human), she is a humanoid alien, of a species that has psychic abilities which it wishes to continue to keep secret from other species.

While in transit on the planet Auord, Sira is attacked and separated from the rest of her party. With no memories before that point, she is rescued by Captain Morgan of the Silver Fox; and so begins an intergalactic chase, as she begins to piece together her past, and tries to understand why so many different factions want her.

I will admit to a few alarm bells (bad romance novel) going off when I discovered the hero had piercing blue eyes, but it turned out alright in the end. I found this book nicely written, with a bit of a mystery as we try to work out the secrets of Sira's past with her. An excellent first novel.

humouress | Jun 17, 2012 |

Julie E. Czernedaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Royo, LuisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sign was rain-smeared and had never been overly straight.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886777690, Mass Market Paperback)

This debut science fiction novel is the story of Sira--a woman on the run from the law, from her own people, and from an unknown figure determined to use her for his own ends. Her memory taken from her by a stasis block, she must stay free long enough to regain both her identity and the full use of her telepathic powers. The price of failure may not only be the loss of her own future, but that of her entire race.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:15 -0400)

The Clan, afraid of her power, now seeks to destroy Sira because of her choice of a human as a companion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,712,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible