Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (original 1955; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel

Series: The Night Trilogy (1)

23,001520114 (4.28)554
Night offers a personal and unforgettable account of the appalling horrors of Hitler's reign of terror. Through the eyes of 14-year-old Eliezer, we behold the tragic fate of the Jews from the little town of Sighet. Even as they are stuffed into cattle cars bound for Auschwitz, the townspeople refuse to believe rumors of anti-Semitic atrocities. Not until they are marched toward the blazing crematory at the camp's "reception center" does the terrible truth sink in.… (more)
Member:MariaLW
Title:Night
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Info:New York, NY : Hill and Wang, a division of Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2006.

Night by Elie Wiesel (1955)

Europe (2)
1950s (100)
Read (18)
To Read (23)

English (504)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Greek (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (516)
There isn't much I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. This is a tragic,terrifying, and important book. I think this book is a book that many people should read so that nothing like this can ever happen again. This book paints such a strong and stark picture of living in the horrible circumstance of a nazi concentration camp. Wiesel shares his experiences in such a heartbreaking way that I couldn't stop reading. I am very glad that I had to read this book for school. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
Even after [b:The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom|561909|The Hiding Place The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom|Corrie ten Boom|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1320418824s/561909.jpg|878114], even after [b:Man's Search for Meaning|4069|Man's Search for Meaning|Viktor E. Frankl|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1535419394s/4069.jpg|3389674], even after this book...

there are no words.
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
i want to know why do people do bad things ( )
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |
Case 14 shelf 1
  semoffat | Aug 31, 2021 |
Words are insufficient to adequately describe the depth, horror, beauty, power, and impact of this book. In the book, Elie Wiesel recounts his experience as a Holocaust survivor. His experience—like that of millions of other Jews—was simply horrific.

Most of all, this book should be read by everyone to fully understand what happened in the past and avoid allowing history to repeat itself in a present or future day. In his words, Wiesel wrote this book in order to “bear witness” to what happened. “The witness has forced himself to testify. For the youth of today, for the children who will be born tomorrow. He does not want his past to become their future.”

As Wiesel said in his Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech:

“And I tell him that I have tried. That I have tried to keep memory alive, that I have tried to fight those who would forget. Because if we forget, we are guilty, we are accomplices.

“And then I explained to him how naive we were, that the world did know and remain silent. And that is why I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must – at that moment – become the center of the universe.

...

“No one is as capable of gratitude as one who has emerged from the kingdom of night. We know that every moment is a moment of grace, every hour an offering; not to share them would mean to betray them. Our lives no longer belong to us alone; they belong to all those who need us desperately.”

bentleymitchell | Aug 27, 2021 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Wiesel, Elieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
ROSENBLATT, JeffreyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SPARKS, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
VOGELMANN, Danielsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WIESEL, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora

E.W.
This new translation

in memory of

my grandparents, Abba, Sarah, and Hachman,

who also vanished into that night

M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.

An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,273,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible