Never Say Never by Justine Manzano

Never Say Never (edition 2021)

by Justine Manzano (Author)

412,900,775 (3)None
Member:pandaofhugs
Title:Never Say Never
Authors:Justine Manzano (Author)
Info:Sword and Silk, LLC (2021), 312 pages

Work Information

Never Say Never by Justine Manzano

Never Say Never shows how love can take different forms, drives home the point that sometimes divine intervention is a good thing. Brynn has decided that love isn't for her. After walking in on her mom in a very compromising position with a man that is 100% not her dad, Brynn comes to the conclusion that it's just not a realistic or worthwhile way to spend her time.

The bombshells don't stop coming, it seems. When Brynn shares this revelation with her friend Val, Val reveals that she's actually the Greek goddess of Love -- Aphrodite. Aphrodite swears to Brynn that she can prove why love is worth believing in. Unfortunately, Brynn finds herself falling for the one person who is really off limits, Aphrodite's boyfriend, Ben. Brynn's journey centers around her decision to either live the life Aphrodite is encouraging her to or to take fate into her own hands and risk it all for a shot at happiness.

I really enjoyed this retelling, as it felt unique. The way that Brynn and Aphrodite, in particular, were written was really excellent. I also loved the coexistence of religions in this book, it didn't feel like one belief system was getting preferential treatment. I think that Manzano does a really interesting job of creating characters that readers love to hate (or, well, strongly dislike). This book is definitely worth a read, especially if you enjoy mythology and modern retellings.

Overall rating: 2.5/5 (rounded to 3)

Never Say Never is now available for purchase. Be sure to add it to your Goodreads shelf and see where it's available for purchase. Also, be sure to check out Justine Manzano's website!
I was lucky enough to be able to read this Advanced Reader's Copy through my partnership with NetGalley. All opinions are my own. ( )
  ghostie_reads | Jul 13, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,580,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible