Tiny Tales: Stories of Romance, Ambition, Kindness, and Happiness

by Alexander McCall Smith

It is often said that the best things in life come in small packages; anyone in search of proof need look no further than the stories in this collection: brief, utterly engaging tales that offer lasting surprise and delight. In Tiny Tales, Alexander McCall Smith explores romance, ambition, kindness, and happiness in thirty short stories accompanied by thirty witty cartoons designed by Iain McIntosh, McCall Smith's longtime creative collaborator. Here we meet the first Australian pope, who hopes to finally find some peace and quiet back home in Perth; a psychotherapist turned motorcycle racetrack manager; and an aspiring opera singer who gets her unlikely break onstage. And, of course, we spend time in McCall Smith's beloved Scotland, where we are introduced to progressive Vikings, a group of housemates with complex romantic entanglements, and a couple of globe-trotting dentists. These tales and illustrations depict the full scope of human experience and reveal the rich tapestry of life--painted in miniature.… (more)

I am a fan of Alexander McCall Smith's THE NO. 1 LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY series, 44 Scotland Street series and the Isabel Dalhousie series. I tried reading a few of the novels in his PORTUGUESE IRREGULAR VERBS series but decided not to continue as I simply did not enjoy them. Too silly and slapstick for me though I know that does work for some readers.

Tiny Tales contains stories about a little bit of everything. I particularly liked the one about the writer and publisher in the elevator, one about the dentists on vacation, and enjoyed Little Priggish and his opera singer. The others were readable; I felt they were better than the selections of Smith's Portuguese Irregular Verbs series I had read but not by much.

The graphic strips by Ian McIntosh were okay.
  Bookish59 | Jan 20, 2022 |
This was just what I needed on a rainy afternoon: funny short tales! McCall Smith's tone, word choice and subjects are very original! ( )
  Marietje.Halbertsma | Jan 9, 2022 |
Not up to AMS's usual style. Pretty soppy and without his usual wit. ( )
  amareshjoshi | Sep 22, 2021 |
Shorter than usual short stories, these tiny gems fill one with harmony and bring total rest to one's body and soul in a world that we need and crave during these uncertain times, a world that McCall Smith creates but which is not at all out of the ordinary, just more perceptive, more kind, and more livable. I can't help but marvel at the lack of linguistic exertion, the sheer effortlessness of simple sentences which nevertheless work wonders. And that's not all - in between the stories, there is a series of amusingly clever, subtle and not so subtle cartoons, demonstrating the author's sharp wit and discernment. ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Aug 7, 2021 |
McCall Smith explores romance, ambition, kindness & happiness in 30 extremely short stories (most are less than 5 pages), some done in graphic form The authors wry sense of humor shows itself in his tale of the Australian Pope who returns to Perth hoping to find some peace and quiet, an untalented aspiring opera singer who finds romance while she is onstage as an untalented member of the chorus, and my favorite – words of wisdom from Geoff’s cat, Stanley.

This is a quick read that will make you smile. ( )
  etxgardener | Jun 15, 2021 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
McIntosh, IainIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,261,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible