The Lab by Jack Heath

The Lab (2006)

by Jack Heath

In a near-future world run by an evil corporation, the only justice comes from an organization called the Deck. Each agent in the deck belongs to a suit -- the Hearts and Diamonds are the operatives, the Clubs do the training, and the Spades monitor internal affairs. The hero is a 16-yr-old, Six of Hearts. (The highest ranking in each group is the King, and so forth, with the whole shebang led by the two Jokers). Six of Hearts is the best operative they have -- all the more impressive (and convenient for us) because he never kills anyone. But he's not really human (surprise) and the action is frenetic and confusing. Not a lot of character development, but this is the first of a series and may get better. Short book may appeal to reluctant readers and boys who like action.

lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
When Agent Six, a member of The Deck, a group fighting against their corrupt society, discovers that he is the product of an illegal experiment by the evil Lab, he takes dangerous steps to discover the truth about himself.
  lkmuir | Dec 9, 2015 |
Not a long book, a ton of action, and yet... kinda boring and taking forever to read.

[edit] Finally finished. Explanations for many, many plot contrivances were weak and the writing chock-full of Tell [don't show]. Ultimately forgettable, but I'll probably work up a 30-second Back Pocket Booktalk for it anyway--as blah as I found it, I'm sure middle-school reluctant readers would appreciate the brisk action-movie plot. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
Library Summary: "Meet a 16-year-old superhuman: Agent Six of Hearts. He's the strongest, most effective agent in the Deck, a team of special agents fighting to uphold justice in a completely corrupt world. Six would be invincible if not for a deadly secret. He is the product of an illegal experiment by the Lab - a ruthless division of the corporation that controls his world. When the Deck begins to investigate the Lab, Six walks a tightrope between his two worlds, trying to keep his origin a secret."

I really liked this book. It was full of action and it was a real page turner. I couldn't stop reading it! Jack Heath described the scenes so well, it was as if I was there with Six the whole time!

I really like Six as a character, even though he isn't the most likable character. He's misunderstood by the people who know him. People think that he doesn't like talking to people because he doesn't care about people. But like I said in my review of "Remote Control" (sequel to "The Lab"), he does care, he just doesn't want to put the people he cares about in danger. So he limits his relationships.

Again, I really liked this book and I recommend it to all those people out there who like books filled with action. ( )
  IreneReads | Sep 3, 2012 |
I gave this book three stars because this book was practically nothing but action. It had everything a person could want with an action and sometimes it leaves you breathless. But it did have parts that I felt were being drawn out. Even though the main character would always describe the people he meets would pretty much take up a whole page. But otherbthan that I thought it was an excellent book and I would definitely recommend it to most people. ( )
  ctmsmasl | Jan 22, 2012 |
For Kate, who always believed in me
(Prologue) This was not a normal day.
(Ch. 1) He was still searching for the USB when the first alarms sounded.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible