A Dark Beauty

by Clarissa Kae

741,927,182 (4)None

This Victorian take on the story of Beauty and the Beast captured my imagination from the very beginning. A Dark Beauty tells the story of Georgiana, who has a talent for fixing machines along with Lord Pichon. Both Georgiana and Lord Pichon suffered horrible burns in the same fire, but Lord Pichon suffered at the hands of those who tried to save him as well. The characters in this book come to life throughout the pages of this book. I found myself unable to put it down. With a father who appears to be a thief possibly, Georgiana offers herself in his place to Lord Pichon. Lord Pichon’s mother also appears to make poor choices. The two parents wind up causing Lord Pichon and Georgiana more trouble than they are worth.

The relationship between Queen Victoria, her cousin Lord Pichon, and Georgiana proves to be one of the most mesmerizing parts of this story. So if you enjoy recreations of fairytales or Victorian tales, check out this book for yourself. I definitely recommend it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book, but this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  PattiPeanut1992 | Apr 8, 2021 |
“You cannot complain of fleas when you run with dogs.” “You cannot inspire bravery—” Dom hissed “—when your tail is tucked between your legs.” One of the things that made A Dark Beauty by Clarissa Kay so enjoyable for me was the quick repartee between characters. While the future of England is at stake, it is a battle of personal wit that will solve the puzzle of who or what Georgiana's family really is and who is ultimately betrayed by whom.
What I loved: the characterization of both Georgiana and Demand the chemistry that built between them, ever so slowly. Then I loved the fleshing out of Victoria, Lord Rochelle, Lady Pichon, and Lucien. I wasn’t sure until the end where the author would take those characters.
What I didn’t love: I was halfway through the book before a major plot event happened that I thought happened much earlier in the original tale. Also, there were loose ends at the end of the book. This doesn’t need to be super-realistic, because it is, after all, a fairy tale retelling.
Bottom line: would I recommend this book? Yes, to lovers of clean Victorian romance and fairy -tale retellings.
I received a copy of this book from the author and publisher through Celebrate Lit. I am voluntarily leaving my thoughts, which are only my opinions. ( )
  Becky_L | Apr 2, 2021 |
I enjoyed every page of A Dark Beauty by Clarissa Kae. From start to finish, this Beauty and the Beast retelling captivated my attention. The perfectly paced plot included fresh twists on expected events. Themes of loyalty and the value of family wove into this clean Victorian-era romance.

The enemies-to-lovers romance between Georgiana and Lord Pichon delighted me. Their “Battle of Wits” added humor and tension. From the first time these two met, I rooted for them find love together. I appreciated that their relationship went beyond companionship. Both characters, but especially Lord Pichon, change due to their growing relationship.

A Dark Beauty stands as the first novel in the Victorian Retellings series by Clarissa Kae. A mystery weaved into the story and set the stage for book two. I plan to purchase a paperback copy of this novel and the forthcoming book in the series. I recommend A Dark Beauty to readers who enjoy clean historical romances. Four stars!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I was provided a copy of this ebook by the author or publisher. All opinions in this review are my own. ( )
  BeautyintheBinding | Mar 31, 2021 |
I love fairy tales and Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite. I think the author did an okay job of writing a story that shows how love should not be defined by looks. Georgiana is beautiful, smart and has scars that remind her everyday of the tragedy that her family endured. Now her father seemed a little sketchy at times and I wasn’t sure if I liked him or not.

My favorite character was Lord Pichon He came off as rude and arrogant but oh did he have a soft heart. I can understand why he was angry at the world and wanted revenge on the person or persons who caused him disfigurement. I loved reading about the castle and how Lord Pichon knew that something was amiss within his own family. It was hard to figure out who to trust and that made the story intriguing .

There were a few spots in the story where I was a little lost because there was too much going on at the same time. I did figure out the plot pretty fast and that disappointed me. I wanted more depth to the characters and it was hard to believe that Georgiana and Lord Pichon fell for each other so quickly. It was a nice story but just missed the mark a little.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Mar 27, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,003,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible