Lifelines: A Doctor's Journey in the Fight for Public Health

by Dr. Leana Wen

Dr. Wen has a distinct family history which contributes to her passion for public health. She tells her story well and puts her experience in context as she relates the public health crises of the past few decades. ( )
  beebeereads | Nov 3, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I picked up this book because Dr. Wen got her start in the same early college program (Early Entrance at Cal State Los Angeles) as one of my friends from back in North Carolina. Both are now doctors, and this memoir takes us through Wen's upbringing, schooling, and many high-profile career moves. She is perhaps best known for serving briefly as the president of Planned Parenthood but was also the Baltimore City Health Commissioner under two mayors, and there are chapters covering all of these life stops and more. Reasonably inspiring, especially for high achievers that know any sterling resume inevitably has many rough patches behind the scenes. ( )
  jonerthon | Oct 4, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lifelines is a very informative, well spoken, documented facts book. I was hoping it would be an easier read, a little more personal and a little less of a textbook study. Still, a very interesting book that touches on current topics and is well balanced. I recommend anyone wanting an in depth medical view of our current events to explore this book. ( )
  JudyMcNelley | Jul 24, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was happy to receive this book from LibraryThing, as I've followed Dr. Wen's career to some extent. Her description of her childhood and her family is fascinating; I always find it illuminating to see what brought people to being who they are and doing what they do. I have not quite finished the book because I found it a little easier to get bogged down in her description of her various public health initiatives; these parts of the book are interesting in their own ways, but less personal. I do still plan to fully finish the book and am glad it came my way.
  benruth | Jun 14, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dr. Leanna Wen has been a comforting voice of reason during the COVID-19 pandemic via the Washington Post and other media. So I was interested to read her memoir "Lifelines." The first chapters are in some ways the most personal as she tells the story of her family's immigrant experiences and the challenges they faced. I was also interested in the day-to-day machinations of Dr. Wen's work as health commissioner of Baltimore. Stories of setbacks and successes in areas such as maternal health, substance abuse, and other areas of population health illustrate the author's commitment to improving conditions for everyone, regardless of where they live or other social determinants of health. The final chapters, which recap the recent national horror of COVID-19, are a bit too close for comfort, but are important to record before authorities who didn't take it seriously try to rewrite history. This book is an informative read for those interested in healthcare careers, health systems, and the intersection of healthcare, politics, and sociology. ( )
  annez | Jun 12, 2021 |
The first sign of something wrong was the sound of a high-pitched squeak. (prologue)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Dr. Leana Wen's book Lifelines is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,519,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible