Raising Boys With ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Successful, Happy Sons

by Mary Anne Richey

971,646,915 (4.67)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in a LibraryThing giveaway in exchange for a review.

Every bit as useful as I hoped it would be. My son is in preschool and his teachers suggested he get therapy for social/emotional behavior. Two different therapists now have told us that he may have ADHD but that he's too young for a diagnosis. As frustrating as that uncertainty is, I wanted to read up on ADHD so I know what to expect and how to help my child as much as possible.

This book takes you through what ADHD is, common myths, and treatment options. Then there are chapters broken up into rough age groups, including preschool. I was glad that there was a separate chapter for preschool, as other materials I've looked at assume the kid in question is older (perhaps near the end of elementary school or in middle school). It helps you to recognize behaviors that may indicate ADHD and provides assistance in how to support your child. For older children, it also includes strategies for helping them to advocate for themselves.

I still don't know if my son has ADHD or not, but I feel more prepared for any eventual diagnosis with this information under my belt. I'd recommend this book to any parent or caregiver in a similar situation.
  Lindoula | Aug 28, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In full disclosure, I received a free copy of Mary Anne Richey's book "Raising Boys with ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Successful Happy Sons" from LT's Early Reviewer's program.

I found the book to be an excellent primer on ADHD, the behaviors you might see in young boys, as well as some tips to help with parenting. I have to say that there wasn't a lot that was terribly new in the elementary years section (as we've been dealing with ADHD for a long time now) and many of the strategies she lists are ones that we've happened upon that work well (so I can attest that they work at least.)

We aren't there yet, so I haven't given a ton of thought to ADHD in the middle school and teen years (and parts of this book terrified me -- from teen pregnancy to driving) -- those section were very eye opening and I appreciated all of the tips and information she presents.

If your child was recently diagnosed or you are looking for new ideas to try, this book is a very good primer on ADHD. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 17, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Raising Boys with ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Successful, Happy Sons is a helpful book for any parent raising a son who has ADHD. It is written by Mary Anne Richey, a school psychologist in FL, in a manner that is easy to read and understand, not full of technical terms and professional jargon. In this book, Richey describes what ADHD is and what it isn’t, and she dispels the many myths that exist about this condition. Her advice on parenting and helping the ADHD child become a successful student is encouraging and insightful. Information about treatment options including both medical and non-medical options, is included. Also, Richey provides chapters that specifically speak about infants and preschoolers, elementary school students and teenage years. Some of the information in these chapters is repetitive, but that repetition is necessary for those who might peruse only those chapters relating to the age of one’s son. The Dynamic Action Plan given at the end of the book is a template to be completed by parents and son. It is a tool that encourages parents to think deeply about their son’s strengths and weaknesses, and to consider what the future can be for him. With answers to these questions, parents can then more precisely plan the action steps for the next months and years that will propel their son toward academic success. I wish I had had this tool for focusing on the actions needed to help my son when he was young. Overall, this is an excellent book to read if one knows, or even thinks, their son may have ADHD. ( )
  KayCarlton | Jun 5, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This work is best used by parents as a guide for use with their sons, just as in the title, the work is set up in such a manner that guides parents from a overall meaning of what ADHD is to offering guides to deal with what can come up in life of a male.
The work is filled with case histories as examples of what has occurred in the lives of others who are dealing with ADHD. The chapters deal with all that is involved with determining that the male does in fact have ADHD and how parents need to learn how to deal with the condition. The work explains how to use the book to get the most out of it. It gives several management and treatment options for parents to use during the life of the male. It also covers issues and how to deal with them as the male starts their education and carries it on until the male reaches post secondary education.
This work has been revised in this second edition and has been updated with information from later research and trails of educators in the field. The work is filled with charts and grafts and check lists that will aid the parent in getting more for their male child thru this critical phase of life. This work can also be used by educators as a guide to assist the parents of their students who fall within the scope of the work.
So if you know a male that has been determined to or suspected of having ADHD then this work needs to be examined. ( )
  Lewie | May 28, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A years worth of sessions rolled up in one place. Richey lays out information in a down to earth way and gracefully incorporating experiences of actual parents and boys in a voice that is both validating and normalizing this common experience. Take the book in pieces to match where your son is at and stay slightly ahead for hands on options you can take to make your household and child feel like a success without unnecessary suffering. ( )
  VictoriaBrodersen | May 15, 2021 |
Raising Boys with ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Successful, Happy Sons is a helpful book for any parent raising a son who has ADHD. It is written by Mary Anne Richey, a school psychologist in FL, in a manner that is easy to read and understand, not full of technical terms and professional jargon. In this book, Richey describes what ADHD is and what it isn’t, and she dispels the many myths that exist about this condition. Her advice on parenting and helping the ADHD child become a successful student is encouraging and insightful. Information about treatment options including both medical and nonmedical options, is included. Also, Richey provides chapters that specifically speak about infants and preschoolers, elementary school students and teenage years. Some of the information in these chapters is repetitive, but that repetition is necessary for those who might peruse only those chapters relating to the age of one’s son. The Dynamic Action Plan given at the end of the book is a template to be completed by parents and son. It is a tool that encourages parents to think deeply about their son’s strengths and weaknesses, and to consider what the future can be for him. With answers to these questions, parents can then more precisely plan the action steps for the next months and years that will propel their son toward academic success. I wish I had had this tool for focusing on the actions needed to help my son when he was young. Overall, this is an excellent book to read if one knows, or even thinks, their son may have ADHD.
added by KayCarlton | editThis review was written by LibraryThing Early Reviewers, kaycarlton (Jun 5, 2021)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mary Anne Richey's book Raising Boys With ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Successful, Happy Sons was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,188,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible