Duplicate Death by Georgette Heyer

Duplicate Death (1951)

by Georgette Heyer

I like this one. Partly because we have recurring characters, who are not as one-dimensional as most of her mystery characters - Timothy and James Harte show up again. And now I want to read their first appearance again... One nice part is that we're not expected to sympathize/empathize with the various drama queens (male and female) and other sorts of idiots who do show up in Heyer mysteries. There's a teenage drama queen, several sorts of mindless fops, and some sneakily nasty characters - but they're presented _as_ idiots and as antagonists, most of them. Timothy, Jim, and Timothy's new love Beulah are all decent sorts; they and Chief Inspector Hemingway and Inspector Grant are the good guys. Which makes the idiots much more tolerable. Beulah is a mild idiot, but for good reason, and she sees sense (on two fronts) not too far into the book. Long enough to make a story, but not so long as to drag out matters beyond reason. The murders are clever, with the causes and methods nicely seeded - I figured out one root cause pretty easily, but the other was obscure until Hemingway spotted it and pointed it out. So - good mystery, good characters, well-written (it is a Heyer, so that's expected); I'm very glad I read it. This one I'm definitely keeping. ( )
1 vote jjmcgaffey | Jul 21, 2014 |
Very dated, but still has sparkling conversations. ( )
  bohemima | Jul 18, 2012 |
Heyer's work has been heartily recommended to me, but unfortunately I didn't see that this was period Enclish mystery, a la Agatha Christie. Not my cup of tea (forgive) at all. Yet, read it. Even enjoyed it. ( )
  KarenIrelandPhillips | May 27, 2012 |
Excellent mystery. The group of suspects seems small since the murder takes place at a bridge party and only a handful of people are absent from play during the critical time frame. But nothing is as simple or straightforward as it seems. Good dialogue and descriptions that are hilariously droll. This book is delightful. ( )
  Anansilaw | Nov 13, 2011 |
Such an intelligent, witty read. Georgette Heyer never disappoints! ( )
  Riyale | Aug 30, 2011 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kožená, LudmilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liebe, Poul IbTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meunier, DeniseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stiehl, HermannTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There were several promising-looking letters in the pile laid on Mrs James Kane's virgin breakfast plate on Monday morning, but having sorted all the envelopes with the air of one expectant of discovering treasure-trove, she extracted two addressed to her in hands indicative either of illiteracy or of extreme youth.

A civilized game of Duplicate Bridge ends in a double murder in which both victims were strangled with picture wire. The crimes seem identical, but were they carried out by the same hand? The odds of solving this crime are stacked up against Inspector Hemingway. Fortunately, the first-rate detective doesn’t miss a trick.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

Inspector Hemingway has his work cut out for him when a seemingly civilized game of Duplicate Bridge leads to a double murder, and the fiancée of a friend becomes Hemmingway's prime suspect.

34 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,431,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible