Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones

Fire and Hemlock (original 1985; edition 2000)

by Diana Wynne Jones (Author), David Wyatt (Illustrator)

English (47)  Finnish (1)  All (48)
This is a complicated story, apparently based on Tam Lin and and Thomas the Rhymer myths. I found the sequence of events hard to follow and scenes in the final outcome still don't make sense (to me). DWJ has that type of writing that pushes you not to over-analyze. One LT reviewer expresses this exactly: "The plot is haunting, confusing, sometimes creepy, sometimes muddled and very twisty in that special DWJ way". However, I never really understood the story despite several readings ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 23, 2017 |
Did I understand everything the first time I read it? Probably not. Last time I read it I was aware of so many subtleties I hadn't gotten when I was younger. I think if I read it again there would still be so much I would be aware of for the first time. The construction of this book is brilliant and I would recommend this to every imaginative person, young or old. I can't be sure when I read it--I just remember taking every Diana Wynne Jones book I could get my hands on out of the library once I'd discovered her with no idea of the timeline any longer. I love this book. I want to own it, but I only want the library's edition, pictured here. I do this a lot. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
This book is interesting, but I have a feeling that with the slump overwhelming me when I finished, as if I had no clue how the story had ever come to this, then I need to re-read this. Maybe if I do that, then I will come to a better understanding.

As such, I will not be leaving a review until I've come back to the book. ( )
  CatKin026 | Sep 18, 2016 |
So, we've got a bit of [b:Tam Lin|122096|Tam Lin|Jane Yolen|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1223645164s/122096.jpg|1042178] and a bit of [b:The Time Traveler's Wife|14050|The Time Traveler's Wife|Audrey Niffenegger|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1274656075s/14050.jpg|2153746] going on here? I'd love to read this, but I don't quite feel like it belongs on my wishlist. And it's not in CLAN. So, somebody will have to encourage me to seek it out. ;)
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
The best fantasy I've read in some time. I was absolutely captivated. The characters she's created, the world, the plot--it all weaves together in a truly wonderful piece of fiction. The novel tells the story of Polly, who slowly pieces together the clues of her missing memory. Her friendship with the strange Mr. Lynn feels absolutely true, from their "let's pretend" games to his comments on her writing. PERFECTION. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Diana Wynne Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nix, GarthIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viitanen, Anna-MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zudeck, DarrylCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006447352X, Mass Market Paperback)

Polly has two sets of memories...

One is normal: school, home, friends. The other, stranger memories begin nine years ago, when she was ten and gate-crashed an odd funeral in the mansion near her grandmother's house. Polly's just beginning to recall the sometimes marvelous, sometimes frightening adventures she embarked on with Tom Lynn after that. And then she did something terrible, and everything changed.

But what did she do? Why can't she remember? Polly must uncover the secret, or her true love -- and perhaps Polly herself -- will be lost.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

At nineteen, Polly has two sets of sometimes overlapping, sometimes conflicting memories, the real-life ones of school days and her parents' divorce, and the heroic adventure ones that began the day she accidentally gate-crashed a funeral and met the cellist Thomas Lynn.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible