On the Trail of the Serpent: The Epic Hunt…

On the Trail of the Serpent: The Epic Hunt for the Bikini Killer (edition 2021)

by Richard Neville (Author), Julie Clarke (Author)

811,808,658 (3.33)None
Member:KateFinney
Title:On the Trail of the Serpent: The Epic Hunt for the Bikini Killer
Authors:Richard Neville (Author)
Other authors:Julie Clarke (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2021), 368 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

On the Trail of the Serpent: The Epic Hunt for the Bikini Killer by Richard Neville

Richard Neville and his partner were the two Australian journalists who got the story of Charles Sobhraj after he was arrested in Delhi. Random House got the contract to tell his story.

I like that Julie Clark ended the book by interviewing Herman Knippenberg. And, I am surprised that, as journalists, they bought the story that Charles had been hired as a 'hit man' to knock off drug peddlers. As Herman Knippenberg pointed out, hired hitmen do not draw attention to themselves. Neither do they burn people while they are still alive.

To me, when they told the tale, is a weakness. I get the impression that Richard Neville was deeply impressed - hypnotized - by Charles, and Julie Clarke mentioned it as well.

Their description of "Monique" is considerably more generous than other accounts I have read.

While they covered most of the areas, I think that the analysis was poor.

They did indeed cover, to some extent, Knippenberg's investigation. If you consider that they were hired to write the story they should have covered this in more detail. It would have been fascinating.

All in all - they tick the boxes, but they don't bring his character to life. ( )
  RajivC | Sep 23, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,582,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible