Fool's Errand (Tawny Man #1) by Robin Hobb

Fool's Errand (Tawny Man #1) (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Robin Hobb (Author)

4,939641,683 (4.22)1 / 104
For fifteen years FitzChivalry Farseer has lived in self-imposed exile, assumed to be dead by almost all who once cared about him. But that is about to change when destiny seeks him once again. Prince Dutiful, the young heir to the Farseer throne, has vanished and FitzChivalry, possessed of magical skills both royal and profane, is the only one who can retrieve him in time for his betrothal ceremony--thus sparing the Six Duchies profound political embarrassment ... or worse. But even Fitz does not suspect the web of treachery that awaits him or how his loyalties to his Queen, his partner, and those who share his magic will be tested to the breaking point.… (more)
Member:RPhyfer
Title:Fool's Errand (Tawny Man #1)
Authors:Robin Hobb (Author)
Info:Spectra (2002), Edition: Reissue, 672 pages

Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb (2001)

What a nice surprise. The cover of my library copy was pure high fantasy cheese. But the characters were intriguing and engaging. I didn't realize this book follows after a preceding trilogy so the exposition at the beginning had me amazed at how much plot the author was just throwing away! Nope, she was just catching us up. I have to admit I was hoping for some Fool/Fitz slash by halfway in. After finishing the book I don't think it's going to go there. But I'm definitely on the hook for the others in this trilogy. The animal personalities were particularly charming and convincing. I read a recommendation for her Liveship series as fantasy mostly about traders, without epic war. I wondered if that would be a bit earnest and dull. But no! This world reminds me of Laurie Marks' Elemental Logic series which is one of my faves. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
Absolutely amazing read.

The last leg of the book was an entire roller coaster. I knew the fool will not die since there are more and more books in the series but I was worried for NightEyes. It was heart breaking to read the exchanges between Fitz and the wolf. Only reason I am giving this 4 stars is the fact that NightEyes is removed to accommodate the new life of Fitz!
  FirstSpeaker | Apr 16, 2021 |
Plus another half star..... I thoroughly enjoyed the first assassins trilogy years ago and I've really enjoyed being back with Fitz and Nighteyes. This series is 'The Tawny Man' so I expect the Fool's presence to build up in part 2. It's a comforting read and good for bedtime despite dealing with unsettling issues - race, class and gender. Usually I go pale at the sight of a single volume of 700 pages, much less 3 books, but while I would encourage a bit of condensing I do read it all - no skipping along as it has content, not just filler. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
After spending some time in Bingtown, the Rain Wilds and the open sea I'm finally back in the Six Duchies. Yet another fantastic book by Robin Hobb. This one was very dark and quite sad though. Fitz gets some new scars, as he usually does. Oh, and there are cats in this book. Lots and lots of cats.
All in all, I warmly recommend this book. Robin Hobb is a word-magician. ( )
  bored_panda | Jan 8, 2021 |
Quickly turning into one of my favorite fantasy series of all time. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 17, 2020 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langton, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Is time the wheel that turns, or the track it leaves behind? Kelstar's Riddle
For Ruth and her Stripers,
Alexander and Crusades.
He came one late, wet spring, and brought the wide world back to my doorstep.
Grief has always seemed to me a time of waiting not for the hurt to pass, but to become accustomed to it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,404,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible