Grave peril by Jim Butcher

Grave peril (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (3)

Harry Dresden investigates a fellow magic user whose meddling in the spirit world results in ghosts wreaking havoc in Chicago.
Member:girlwithsixarms
Title:Grave peril
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:New York : ROC, c2001.

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

English (209)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (213)
4 stars - This is book #3 of The Dresden Files. As i've said elsewhere, The Dresden Files are a complete guilty pleasure. I read this series purely for fun and entertainment. Butcher's writing is improving by this book but he really doesn't come into his stride until book #4. The dialog is witty and snarky. The characters are becoming well developed. This book introduces one of my very favorite characters: Michael Carpenter, a Knight of the Cross. This story involves ghosts, several types of vampires and a demon along with Harry's Faerie Godmother. There are a few places where the solution to an insurmountable problem just seems too slick. Something Butcher will abandon as the series continues and Harry gets into deeper and far worse predicaments. I used to tell people to just start the series with book 4, but as i re-read this series now for the 4th time, i no longer recommend that. The introduction of very key characters which occurs in books 1-3 is too important to future stories to just skip. Just be aware that the writing improves after book 3. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
One of the great things about reading books in a series back to back is that you get a flavor for an author right away. You also are more ably to see I think any continuity issues too since if you are lucky you are picking up book #2 just a few days after finishing book #1.

In my case, I started reading Grave Peril 15 minutes after I finished up with Fool Moon. I actually had to stop reading after a few pages and went looking at Mr. Butcher's blog to make sure that I had not missed a book and Amazon had not incorrectly labeled this as book #3 in the Dresden Files.

This book starts right in the middle of Harry and his friend Michael (who he has known for several years and we only hear about for the first time in this book) racing as fast as they can to save some newborns from a ghost.

Harry and Michael we find have been working overtime in Chicago since a lot of ghost activity has increased with people being hurt all over. This case ends up touching some of the cops we have come to known in the Special Investigations unit closely and we have Harry fighting to keep them safe.

If that's not enough to deal with he is also trying to figure out his relationship with his girlfriend Susan and doing his best to warn her off of going to an event that Bianca (the vampire we come to know in Storm Front who is still mad and seeking revenge at Harry) has formally invited Harry to since he is a member of the White Council.

There is a lot going on in this book and honestly I feel like there should have been a separate book dealing with Harry and Michael and a fourth book dealing with the vampires.

Everything got thrown in together and nothing really worked. We also had new characters introduced and barely any information provided about them but for some characters we got a lot of information. It was very un-even.

I for one was very interested in Michael and would have loved a story of how he and Harry first met. Hearing about Michael and how he was provided his sword Amoracchius was great and I wish there could have been a novella between Fool Moon and this book.

We don't get a chance to really delve into Michael though because Mr. Butcher takes the ghost phenomenon and Harry finds out that the vampires may somehow be involved. I still don't quite like how Mr. Butcher loops everything together and it really made absolutely no kind of sense to me once we got to the end. In fact I remember thinking okay that was interesting.

I think just reading about the different types of vampires and what their powers were was just a bit too much for me to digest.

I think one way that would led me to enjoy this book more would be if Mr. Butcher had included a prologue that introduced the event that got referenced in a dream later on by Harry.

Even though I rated this 3.5 stars I am still very much enthralled with this series and can't wait to start Summer Knight. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
These books just keep getting better and better. ( )
  maybe_a_wizard | May 22, 2020 |
my poor babies. also THOMAS ( )
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
I'm not too fond of Harry Dresden, but I liked Michael, so I did enjoy this book. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,822,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible