On Consolation: Finding Solace in Dark Times

by Michael Ignatieff

412,875,596 (4.5)None

A timely novel for the COVID era, On Consolation provides a well-researched, almost biblical account of the myriad methods of consolation used throughout human history from the era before Christ to the modern day. I found this incredibly interesting, I hadn't ever really considered how consolation could exist in so many forms. This book aims to explore heavy subjects such as loss, grief, depression, hopelessness, disease and violence, but manages to outline how consolation could exist in these situations. I enjoyed the stories of historical figures discovering their own personal silver linings, and with the book ending with the authors' account of his own consolation through difficult periods in his life, it's a well-rounded approach that I found both informative and even helpful to my own life. There is no right way to be consoled, so long as it works for you.

I believe many people can take lessons from this book to apply to their own lives, and I believe having the ability to relate with humanity through thousands of years of difficulty is fundamental to any individual for remaining hopeful for the future. Humanity craves both connection and consolation, and this book reveals the humanity of the past in a way that casts assurance over the difficulties of the present and the future. This is a very insightful and interesting read, I would recommend it to anybody who feels the need for consolation in their own lives.

Thanks to Michael Ignatieff and Random House Canada for this advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TMLbuds34 | Oct 4, 2021 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Michael Ignatieff's book On Consolation: Finding Solace in Dark Times is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,432,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible