Casanova Volume 1: Luxuria (Casanova…

Casanova Volume 1: Luxuria (Casanova Luxuria) (edition 2008)

by Matt Fraction (Writer), Gabriel Ba

Series: Casanova (1)

Member:geekyartistlibrarian
Title:Casanova Volume 1: Luxuria (Casanova Luxuria)
Authors:Matt Fraction
Other authors:Gabriel Ba
Info:Image Comics (2008), Paperback, 144 pages

Casanova, Vol. 1: Luxuria by Matt Fraction (Writer)

Not my thing. Another comic with nice art and a frenetic, trying-so-hard, saying-nothing story. I stopped caring halfway through. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
  nerdythor | May 30, 2017 |
I really enjoy Matt Fraction, but the guy can be pretty out there sometimes. Casanova is pretty out there. Like, clearly, Fraction had a complete blast writing this. It comes out on every page. And Gabriel Ba must have had a blast drawing it.

It's kind of a spy satire, but not like Austin Powers... it's stream of conscious and, to be frank, batshit crazy. There's a lot of creativity here on display and a lot of fun characters.

The reason I'm not giving this more than three stars is I found it hard to connect to any of the characters. I just like to see a little more emotional resonance in a story, you know? My favorite thing by Fraction--the excellent Hawkeye series--has that in spades. But with Casanova, we get the fun and somewhat loopy Fraction but not so much the heart. ( )
  wethewatched | Jan 7, 2016 |
Fast paced and difficult to follow in places but I really enjoyed it. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
What what what did I just read? Dimension-hopping sci-fi robot monster super-spy retro-cool sexy sexiness fun times? Stuff blows up real good and zowie powie! there's fists flyin' and bullets and B-movie giant robots and mutants and time traveling and more robots and supervillains and the whole lot of it. Doesn't really make a lick of sense and WHO CARES because it's got the cool-o-meter pegged at 11, baby. BLAMMO!!

...until it gets pretty tiresome near the end. Just like some sort of hollywood summer blockbuster, the wheels sorta fall off the contraption and then it's going through the motions until the end. But man, what a crazy ride getting there. ( )
  stewartfritz | Apr 4, 2013 |
Originally serialized in 2006 and 2007, when it was printed in two-tone black and green, “Luxuria” has been expanded and recolored for its new edition — fleshing out a love-story subplot that makes it clearer that a heart is beating inside the book’s skeleton of clones, alternate timelines and “retroviral data payloads.”

The themes are basic, even obvious: family relations (especially the father/son conflict), sex, drugs, pain, pleasure, death. For escapist adventure, it’s awfully thought-provoking. It’s both about and provides altered consciousness.

Fraction, MattWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bá, GabrielIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Peter, CrisColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Casanova Quinn, son of the director of E.M.P.I.R.E., an international task force that ruthlessly maintains law and order across the planet, betrays his father, fights a floating head, and steals a god.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,240,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible