The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music by…

The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music (edition 2021)

by Dave Grohl (Autor)

So, I've written a book. Having entertained the idea for years, and even offered a few questionable opportunities ("It's a piece of cake! Just do 4 hours of interviews, find someone else to write it, put your face on the cover, and voila!") I have decided to write these stories just as I have always done, in my own hand. The joy that I have felt from chronicling these tales is not unlike listening back to a song that I've recorded and can't wait to share with the world, or reading a primitive journal entry from a stained notebook, or even hearing my voice bounce between the Kiss posters on my wall as a child.  This certainly doesn't mean that I'm quitting my day job, but it does give me a place to shed a little light on what it's like to be a kid from Springfield, Virginia, walking through life while living out the crazy dreams I had as young musician. From hitting the road with Scream at 18 years old, to my time in Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, jamming with Iggy Pop or playing at the Academy Awards or dancing with AC/DC and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, drumming for Tom Petty or meeting Sir Paul McCartney at Royal Albert Hall, bedtime stories with Joan Jett or a chance meeting with Little Richard, to flying halfway around the world for one epic night with my daughters...the list goes on. I look forward to focusing the lens through which I see these memories a little sharper for you with much excitement. … (more)
Member:CourtneyAnauo
Title:The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music
Authors:Dave Grohl (Autor)
Info:Dey Street Books (2021), Edition: 01, 384 pages

Work Information

The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music by Dave Grohl

Grohl is a storyteller....some of his antidotes are amusing (some downright funny) and his prose is almost poetic. I throughly enjoyed, I now know who Dave Grohl is (I had heard of the Foo Fighters), unfortunately still not a fan of the music, but he seems like a very interesting guy. I did look up the video of Grohl breaking his leg, his description of what it felt like made me cringe, he brought the saying 'the show must go on' to a whole new level. And he said New Orleans is his favorite city in the world...I should add a star for that. ( )
  almin | Mar 26, 2022 |
I read this in two days. It was outstanding. ( )
  tsmom1219 | Feb 24, 2022 |
I was sucked in from page one. He reads the audiobook himself and tells his stories with such passion. You’ll appreciate it more if you are a musician (I’m not), or a huge fan of his, (I only know half his work), but it’s fun regardless. His collection of memories are a strange and wonderful mix. There are rockstar concert mishaps and there are first crushes in a classic suburban neighborhood. It’s a bit flowery at times, but it’s easy to get lost in his childlike enthusiasm. ( )
  bookworm12 | Feb 18, 2022 |
A music lover writing about his love of music for other music lovers? YES, PLEASE.

Reading The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music by Dave Grohl right after finishing up Paul McCartney's The Lyrics was absolutely the best decision I could have made. Firstly, Dave is a huge Beatles fan (and a friend of the man himself!) so there were tons of references to him and his music making it feel like I was enmeshed in an almost surreal literary musical infinity loop. Secondly, the parallels to their musical journeys are undeniable (and fascinating). Thirdly, both books absolutely engrossed me and fired up my imagination. [A/N: And since I've had a fairly slow start reading wise this year I am eternally grateful to these two men for this.]

The Storyteller is exactly what the subtitle claims it to be: Dave Grohl's musical journey from his childhood playing "pillow drums" in Virginia, leaving on tour as a teenager with the band Scream, making music history with the super band Nirvana, and creating his own label with his bandmates the Foo Fighters. Reading this book felt like watching a behind the scenes documentary of the 90s punk scene. It's gritty and devastating at times, full of heart always, cheeky (I definitely laughed out loud multiple times), and just an all-around excellent book for anyone who has ever felt overcome by the power of music. 10/10 ( )
  AliceaP | Feb 4, 2022 |
These are not the best Dave Grohl's stories. I think they're not the most important ones too. However, they are, undeniably, the stories that Dave enjoys telling the most and this makes listening to this audiobook so entertaining! This pure fun of storytelling, lust for life and adventure, as well as a great love for music is off the charts and emanate from every "page" of this book.

It's like going out for a beer with Dave Grohl and listening to his best stories that he told so many times before and never got tired of this. It's one of the most entertaining books I've read this year. It's written well, words and phrases are like beats and rhythms that flow so naturally. Hearing the man himself delivering it makes all the difference, as emotions pour down the headphones.

The only thing I was missing at the end was not really knowing the author any more than when I started. This book presents only a few facets of the author - nerdy teenager, devoted family man, and music adventurer that never missed an opportunity to live to the fullest. It's all great, don't get me wrong, but it's not a three-dimensional person. There are some hints of a bigger depth and more complex persona, but they are gracefully avoided to keep the book light and fun. ( )
  sperzdechly | Dec 31, 2021 |
FOR VIRGINIA GROHL.

Without her, my stories would be very different.

FOR JORDYN BLUM.

You made my story so much more exciting and beautiful.

FOR VIOLET, HARPER, AND OPHELIA.

May each of your stories be as unique and as amazing as you are

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,161,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible