The Fields: Dark, immersive and seriously…

The Fields: Dark, immersive and seriously gripping (edition 2022)

by Erin Young (Author)

A breakneck procedural that is beautifully written and masterfully crafted, Erin Young's The Fields is a dynamite debut--crime fiction at its very finest. Some things don't stay buried. It starts with a body--a young woman found dead in an Iowa cornfield, on one of the few family farms still managing to compete with the giants of Big Agriculture. When Sergeant Riley Fisher, newly promoted to head of investigations for the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office, arrives on the scene, an already horrific crime becomes personal when she discovers the victim was a childhood friend, connected to a dark past she thought she'd left behind. The investigation grows complicated as more victims are found. Drawn deeper in, Riley soon discovers implications far beyond her Midwest town. A Macmillan Audio production from Flatiron Books… (more)
Member:VanessaCW
Title:The Fields: Dark, immersive and seriously gripping
Authors:Erin Young (Author)
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2022), 347 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read May 2022, Pigeonhole

Work Information

The Fields: A Novel by Erin Young

Set in rural Iowa where a young woman’s body is found in a cornfield. It’s a family farm which is competing with one of the big giants of agriculture. When Sergeant Riley Fisher discovers the woman was a childhood friend, she soon gets herself embroiled into the investigation and the bodies begin to mount up.

I’m in two minds about how I feel about this book. On the one hand it’s quite a gripping thriller, but on the other it’s a little too political for my tastes. I found it a slog at times. I thought the setting was well depicted and atmospheric. It’s also well written. The plot, however, is somewhat complicated and concentration is needed. There are a few surprises along the way. I’m not a big fan of police procedural novels or serial killer chillers, but I can see that this one would appeal to quite a few enthusiasts of this genre. A worthy debut, all in all. ( )
  VanessaCW | May 14, 2022 |
Not bad, well written, I gave up towards the end when it became too incestuous, i.e police officers family involved as victim ( )
  onemack | May 12, 2022 |
This mystery features a woman in a powerful position in a male-dominated field. That, along with an interesting storyline involving Big Agriculture, would have made for an excellent story. Unfortunately, an overreliance on brutal violence made this book much less desirable. Read my full review here. ( )
  joyblue | Feb 22, 2022 |
I could not stand to read this under-informed polemic about agriculture. Ms Young's knowledge of ag is minimal (even her vocabulary is wrong) and of ag politics beyond "big is bad" even less. Strip the text of this nonsense and you perhaps might have something interesting.

I received a digital review copy of "The Fields" by Erin Young from Flatiron Books through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jan 31, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,283,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible