Charlotte's Story by Carolyn Korsmeyer

Charlotte's Story (edition 2021)

by Carolyn Korsmeyer (Author)

841,784,446 (2.33)None
Collections:Your library, EBooks
Tags:Fiction, Spin-Off-P&P, Kindle

Charlotte's Story by Carolyn Korsmeyer

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In this Pride and Prejudice variation Elizabeth Bennet has just refused Mr Collins. But soon it is Charlotte’s turn and in the desire for her own home she accepts.
The first half of the story roughly follows canon from Charlotte's point of view. Then we have her life at Hunsford onwards.
While on a visit with the Bennets to Bath, this went wrong for me as I did not like this portrayal of Mary Bennet at all. It really does spoil the story for me as it is so very out of character.
I received a complimentary copy of the book from the publisher via Library Thing and am voluntarily leaving a review ( )
  Vesper1931 | Sep 18, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A spin-off of Pride and Prejudice looking at Charlotte Lucas' story. The first 1/4 of the book occurred parallel with events in P&P with little variation from what is discussed in that book. I found this portion a little hard to read. It improved once Charlotte's life and actions veer further from the action of P&P. I enjoyed the middle portion where Charlotte was figuring out her life with Mr Collin's and learning to find the good in him but also to stand up to him and Lady Catherine. However, toward the end I felt that it was fairly contrived and had some odd insinuations that were not really ever fleshed out and really should not have been brought up if they were just going to be brushed off. A good travel read, but not something I am likely to go back to.
  barefeet4 | Sep 14, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a miss for me. Understandably, Mr(s) Korsmeyer deviated quite a bit from the original text. In particular a lot of events from the original book were modified to take place around Charlotte's observation in this one. However my one complaint is that this book did not deviate enough from the original text. I would have preferred had the author not tried to tie in Elizabeth's story or try to plug in as many events from the original text. I think this story did not in fact focus enough on Charlotte and how she might have handled her situation. So, like I said this just did not work for me. Charlotte herself came across as a stuffy, judgmental, prude which she wasn't in P&P. And overall the story was just lacking in originality. It just isn't strong enough to stand on its own, which it should be able to do. ( )
  Fireformed | Sep 14, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
*Special Note* I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All reviews are based on my own opinions.**

Okay. I know that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Jane Austen Fans or Jane Austen Purists. If you love Jane Austen, great. So do I. But please DO NOT jump into this book expecting it to be read in the voice of Jane Austen herself. Carolyn Korsmeyer has her own style because she's telling this in the voice of Charlotte Lucus/Charlotte Collins.

Charlotte is the best friend of Elizabeth Bennett/Elizabeth Darcy. We love her dearly because she's level-headed and pretty well grounded compared to Lizzy's younger sisters. But Charlotte is her person with her own mind and her own opinions. I would imagine that it's not easy to be the wife of the parson. She, not only has to please her husband, but she has to please Lady Catherine--a rather vain and pompous woman.

I noticed that Carolyn Korsmeyer took liberties in this book and really strove to take it down in different directions. True Jane Austen purists will notice when the scenes slightly mirror Pride & Prejudice and when it strays from it. You may not like it, but sometimes it's fun to play "what if we took it down this direction?"

However, there were scenes in which I felt that "No, this doesn't work me." I'll admit that it's hard to escape that way of thinking.

While there is nothing wrong with the book itself, I found that I just cannot love it in the way that I love Jane Austen. I'm not thrilled with Mary, Kitty, or Mrs. Bennett. I really did like how she brought out Anne more.

Honestly, I just can't see myself keeping this book in my personal library. But I do encourage people to read this variation and judge for themselves. Just because I don't care for it should not discourage you from trying it yourself. ( )
  caslater83 | Sep 5, 2021 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carolyn Korsmeyer's book Charlotte's Story was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,277,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible