To Find Her Place (Redemption's Light)

by Susan Anne Mason

Series: Redemption's Light (2)

851,824,441 (4.5)None

This has been one of my favorite stories so far this year. I loved Jane and Garrett. It was nice to read a book that takes place during WWll but does not go too much into the horrors that occurred. It was fascinating to learn some about how foster care and adoptions were handled in Canada during the time of WWll. This story made me laugh and cry. I did not want to put this book down. These two characters go through some trials to figure out how they want to spend their lives. I received a copy of this book from the author for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jun 18, 2021 |
Ms. Mason has taken characters in turmoil and given them a story of hope.
Jane is trying her best to make a home for her ailing mother and excel in her job helping children find a home. It is difficult in Toronto during wartime with the shortages in food, gas and qualified people willing to foster needy children. The author shows the compassion Jane has for a special little boy, Martin, who is very hard to place.
Garrett, a war veteran who is still recovering from an injury, is hired to audit the agency for efficiency and a discrepancy in the books.
Both Jane and Garrett have secrets they are keeping. They find they are vying for the same position as permanent director of the agency. As they grow fonder of each other, they have mixed feelings about competing for the job. Garrett: *He could not allow his growing respect for the woman to interfere with his plans to secure his future.*
Circumstances arise that will test their faith and their mettle. And they learn a lesson in forgiveness, trust and reliance on God.
I enjoyed learning about our Canadian neighbors and what similar things they experienced during WWII. I look forward to the third book in this series.
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House on behalf of the author. I was not required to give a favorable review. All opinions are my own.* ( )
  paulashreckhise | Jun 10, 2021 |
To Find Her Place by Susan Anne Mason

Susan Anne Mason has once again crafted a fascinating story in her new book, To Find Her Place. Set in Toronto in 1943, it features Jane Linder and Garrett Wilder, who are vying for the position of director at the Children’s Aid Society. Garrett is a wonderful, caring hero who is trying to find a new career after a war injury leaves him unable to do much to help his parents with their farm. Jane is capable, compassionate, and is the acting directress at the society, while Garrett has been hired to look into the operations there and investigate suspected misuse of funds. As they work there together, they become friendly and their relationship grows.

Mason is superb at creating engaging and realistic characters and settings. A wonderful cast of secondary characters adds color and additional emotional depth to the story. I enjoyed the appearances of some of the characters from the previous book in the Redemption’s Light series, A Haven for Her Heart. While they are parts of a series, each book can easily stand on its own.

With plenty of suspense, a dash of romance, and faith elements that are seamlessly woven into the tale, this book is a captivating look at an interesting part of Canada’s history. I would recommend it to those who enjoy inspirational historical romance fiction.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy from Bethany House. All opinions are my own. ( )
  swissgranny | Jun 8, 2021 |
This is second book in Redemption's Light series by Susan Anne Mason but definitely can be read as a stand-alone. In 1943 Toronto, WWII has torn apart the city's finances, morale, and people. Even though understaffed and under-budgeted, the Toronto Children's Aid Society works diligently to help the orphaned children find foster and forever homes. Jane is an unusual acting directress of the organization, but she puts her heart and soul into the work she does. Garrett is an auditor who comes to sort out the financial tangle within the Society but becomes so much more to Jane with his optimism, steadfast tenderness, disciplined integrity, and passion to help those in need. Their relationship is tested as they compete for the same job, chase after a hurting boy who likes to run away, and try to figure out the best path when their pasts push forward to take center stage in their present. Both Jane and Garrett are lovely and I really enjoyed learning about how the Children's Aid Society worked. The author does an excellent job of portraying the effects of the war in Toronto with sensitivity and tenderness.

If you're a fan of historical fiction/romance, you will surely enjoy this book. I received the book from Bethany House Publishers and was under no obligation to post a positive comment. All opinions are solely my own. ( )
  SBMC | Jun 7, 2021 |
We are back in Toronto Canada and as with the first book we are helping children by way of the Children's Aid Society, and although this is the second book in this series that I have read, the book can stand alone.
The main character Jane Linder is reeling from the abrupt ending of her marriage, and trying to move on during difficult times. She has been named acting director of the CAS, and is loving her job.
Enter Garrett Wilder a wounded veteran who has been hired to find some missing funds. Yes, Jane is a suspect, but then so are others. Now Jane and Garrett get to work closely together, and are also helping the children.
Can these two hurting individuals form a relationship, maybe, and in the end help hurting eight year old Martin.
This story has so much going on, WWII, aiding children, missing and wounded soldiers, and just a bit of romance thrown in, and then you start page-turning for answers!
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Bethany House, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | May 17, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,064,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible