Electric Idol

by Katee Robert

Series: Dark Olympus (2)

He was the most beautiful man in Olympus. And if I wasn't careful, he was going to be my death. *A scorchingly hot modern retelling of Psyche and Eros that's as sinful as it is sweet.* In the ultra-modern city of Olympus, there's always a price to pay. Psyche Dimitriou knew she'd have to face Aphrodite's jealous rage eventually, but she never expected her literal heart to be at stake...or for Aphrodite's gorgeous son to be the one ordered to strike the killing blow. Eros has no problem shedding blood. Raised to be his mother's knife in the dark, he's been conditioned to accept that he's more monster than man. But when it comes time to take out his latest target...he can't do it. Confused by his reaction to Psyche's unexpected kindness, he does the only thing he can think of to keep her safe: he binds her to him, body and soul. Psyche didn't expect to find herself married to the glittering city's most dangerous killer, but something about Eros wakens a fire inside her she's never felt before. As lines blur and loyalties shift, Psyche realizes Eros might take her heart after all...and she's not sure she can survive the loss. "Deliciously inventive...Red-hot."--Publishers WeeklySTARRED for Neon Gods "I get shivers just thinking of their interactions. SHIVERS."--Mimi Koehler for The Nerd Daileyfor Neon Gods… (more)

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️0.5 /5
🌶🌶🌶/4

Greek Gods Reimagined: Psyche (Daughter of Demeter) x Eros (son of Aphrodite)

*Contains Spoilers*

First up, I LOVE how we get another sexy plus size character in Psyche (we also bow down to Tink 👑). So often we see men & women in romance & smut be all “idealized” and I get it, abs sell. But, there is nothing sexier than a woman who knows herself and owns her insecurities as she pushes past them to step into her own divinity. Having some scenes where she is talking to Eros about clothes & sizing & designers just not catering to certain body types and how some folks can’t just buy anything off a rack in their “size” and have it work… let’s just say I was YAS QUEENing a LOT! It’s important to celebrate women of all shapes and sizes and letting all women find clothes they can feel confident and sexy in is so important.

And for men who worship at the altar of divinity that is a confident woman (regardless of size), you have understood the assignment 👏👏👏.

Enter Eros, our very morally gray MC who we somehow love even though he’s a blond (very hot) son of Aphrodite 😂. It’s definitely interesting to see a bit of a “non-traditional” abusive parent-child relationship in the form of … his mom literally makes him kill people. That’s a new level of horrific parent and we love to see Psyche stepping in to take her down, after she also helps him own just how fucked up the way Aphrodite treats him is.

We also get a deeper look into the Demeter daughter - sister dynamic in this one which is very fun and I look forward to seeing more of them as the series progresses. ( )
  Victinerary | Jul 11, 2022 |
This is a bit of a departure from my usual historical romance, or occasional paranormal romance reading, (it's basically just current romance in a slightly altered world), but I was interested in the first book because I love the characters of Hades and Persephone so much, and I decided to stick with it and read the second in the series as well. (I received an advance copy of Electric Idol for reviewing purposes, but this entire review is my genuine take on it).

The previous book, Neon Gods, ended up being a bit of a mixed bag for me. There were some inconsistencies in the world building and characters, but overall I was still entertained, and liked those versions of H&P decently, so I ended up giving it 3 stars.

The story of Eros and Psyche, on the other hand, has never grabbed me the way H&P's does, the whole secret identity thing, the heroine squirreled away, the characters hardly spending time getting to know each other, jealous backstabbing sisters, Eros running away all hurt, and Psyche being gorgeous but, honestly, quite simple. But thankfully, this version tossed aside all those drawbacks. No secret identity or abduction, time spent, close sisters, Eros doesn't play drama queen, and Psyche is more human than simply being stunning, and she's savvy to boot. I actually like this version more than the original. Both main characters have been used as pawns by their parents, but they carve out some agency for themselves and give support to each other, and it made me care more about them. This version is much more interesting than the original in my opinion.

Romeo and Juliet, Marriage of Convenience, Modern Retelling. Dual narrators, M&F, on the audiobook. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Jul 2, 2022 |
Katee Robert has done it again! I love this book so much. I'd risk my life for them. I also like that I got to know more people who I know I'll see in other books of the series. I also actually annotated this book. It was actually really fun. I liked doing it a lot. I also want to just hug Eros. And Psyche being a bigger girl??? Gods bless that rep so much. I can't wait to read more of her books. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 29, 2022 |
#booktokmademe
#bookstagrammademe

Better than the first one? Yes. I still appreciate that Roberts is keeping Olympus reality-adjacent, but also making it something outside of what we know is cool too.

This follows Psyche - another of Demeter's daughters and Eros, son of Aphrodite.

Aphrodite is a grade-A bitch. Not in a good way. She deserves what she gets. And the play Psyche uses at the end of this book is clever, well done on that one.

This one talked a lot about Psyche not being traditionally beautiful - she's fat, she's not as pretty as her sisters, but she's on social media and has gazillions of followers because she knows how to dress her body - which she loves after years of letting haters get to her. Awesome! She is a social media icon, she is the moment.

Eros is a playboy assassin for his mother. He and Psyche get married to save her life. But it backfires. They do end up in a HEA.

The story on this one follows the continued politics from book one and I'm interested to see where Roberts goes next.

Recommended 18+. Reader responsibility to check CW/TW.

**All thoughts and opinions are my own.** ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | May 31, 2022 |
A good romance series with a more modern spin. There are diverse characters, every woman isn't a virgin, etc. ( )
  dcoward | Mar 14, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,419,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible