L.A. Requiem (Elvis Cole Novels (Paperback))…

L.A. Requiem (Elvis Cole Novels (Paperback)) (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Robert Crais

Private eye Elvis Cole and his partner investigate the murder of a woman who was once his partner's lover.
Member:terrybfla
Title:L.A. Requiem (Elvis Cole Novels (Paperback))
Authors:Robert Crais
Info:Ballantine Books (2000), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:mp3

L. A. Requiem by Robert Crais (1999)

English (28)  Spanish (1)  All languages (29)
IF YOU READ ONE CRAIS BOOK, THIS WOULD BE IT. I STILL RECOMMEND READING THEM IN ORDER, HOWEVER. YOU LEARN THE HISTORY OF JOE PIKE WITH GIRLFRIENDS ,THE POLICE, AND ELVIS COLE. THIS ALSO CONTINUES eLVIS WITH HIS GIRL FRIEND FROM lOUISIANA. ( )
  pgabj | Aug 22, 2019 |
I read this years ago, and just read it again. It's one of the very best in the Elvis Cole series. If you haven't tried Robert Crais, I heartily recommend this as a starting place. ( )
  cmt100 | Feb 3, 2018 |
A serial killer is stalking LA – or is it a hit man? Either way, Angelinos are being kept in the dark and five people have died. The fifth one is Karen Garcia, a former girlfriend of Joe Pike.

In this novel we learn the Joe Pike back-story as he moves from a caricature to a more fully fleshed out character. Pike is introduced in a series of flashbacks that are dispersed thought the story. This convention is somewhat irritating at first as the story is constantly interrupted to insert another several page long digression into Pike's history with Garcia, his service as a Los Angeles police officer, and the death of Pike's partner.

Eventually Pike is charged with the murder of the man suspected of killing Garcia and Cole and Pike work to find the actual murderer and bring him to justice. ( )
  Tatoosh | Aug 22, 2016 |
From Amazon:

The day starts like any other in L.A. The sun burns hot as the Santa Ana winds blow ash from mountain fires to coat the glittering city. But for private investigator Joe Pike, the city will never be the same again. His ex-lover, Karen Garcia, is dead, brutally murdered with a gun shot to the head.

Now Karen's powerful father calls on Pike (a former cop) and his partner, Elvis Cole, to keep an eye on the LAPD as they search for his daughter's killer--because in the luminous City of Angels, everyone has secrets, and even the mighty blue have something to hide. But what starts as a little procedural hand-holding turns into a deadly game of cat-and-mouse. For a dark web of conspiracy threatens to destroy Pike and Cole's twelve-year friendship--if not their lives. And L.A. just might be singing their dirge.

My Thoughts:

The plot is very well done. It has the requisite twists and turns. You may think you have it figured out but guess again. I don't think many people will get there before the author wants you to. the writing is superb. Robert Crais has always been a good writer in a mild breezy way, but with this book he shows us he can handle deeper emotions. This is a darker, more serious, book than his others and he handles it with perfect aplomb. We also see so much more of Joe Pike's past life in this one and even a glimpse into his childhood. At the end we come away with a better insight into what made Joe Pike the man he is. Another excellent read from Robert Crais. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Unfortunately,I didn't notice that this book was abridged, as all the previous Audible books were unabridged. I also did not appreciate the narrator as I didn't feel that his touch suited the character of Elvis, though it was fine when reading for Joe Pike.
These two complaints have jaundiced my view of the story.
Elvis is asked to investigate the disappearance of an old girl friend of Joe Pike. Things escalate and Joe quickly becomes a suspect in the affair.
Interesting new character introduced (I cheated, having read the next book ages ago--it must have been on sale.)
Everything piles up one thing on top of the other until a climatic conclusion, as usual eventuates.
Some interesting back story developed.

quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Do you know what love is?/(I would bleed out for you.) --Tattooed Beach Sluts

I've got the whole town under my thumb/and all I've gotta do is keep acting dumb//We say goodbye so very politely/Now say hello to the killer inside me. --MC 900 Ft. Jesus

Mama, Mama, can't you see/What the Marine Corps has done to me?/Made me lean and made me strong/Made me where I can do no wrong. --USMC marching cadence
For Ed Waters and Sid Ellis, who taught me more than words. "And dat's da' name o' dat tune."
Uniformed LAPD Officer Joe Pike could hear the banda music even with the engine idling, the a.c. jacked to meat locker, and the two-way crackling callout codes to other units.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,569,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible