The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family…

The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family (edition 2021)

by Ron Howard (Author)

Member:tkgbjenn1
Title:The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family
Authors:Ron Howard (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2021), 416 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family by Ron Howard

Watching Ron Howard in my childhood and his movies as an adult, I was interested in his story. The audiobook is excellent and the two sides of Ron and Clint Howard play off each other wonderfully. Starting his career in the incredibly successful Andy Griffith Show and then Happy Days it is easy to think that everything was easy for him but the book reveals how the great selfless sacrifice and leadership of his parents, a strong work ethic, enduring career identity crises, and pursuing and creating opportunities. Likewise, Clint's career and lifestyle challenges are characterized by risk-taking (sometimes dangerous and poor risks), a strong work ethic, and the confidence to be his own person not living jealously in the shadow of his older brother. Instead, the deep and sincere love and mutual respect between the brothers is an encouraging story. Their parents were talented and dedicated parents who didn't live through their children nor completely sacrificed themselves for their children (and didn't exploit them), but enjoyed a crazy Hollywood journey together that didn't crash and burn or become a cringy sideshow. ( )
  RhodesDavis | Dec 29, 2021 |
I’m four or five years older than Ron Howard, but when I see him or watch one of the movies he’s directed, I feel like I almost grew up with the guy. For those of us of a certain age, our relationship with “Ronny” Howard began with the still wonderful-to-watch The Andy Griffith Show, but that was far from Ron Howard’s first venture into movies and television. That is, however, where the Ron Howard clean-cut image began taking form before being further strengthened by smash hits like the George Lucas film American Graffiti and the hit television series Happy Days. Ron Howard seemed to us to be the ideal All-American boy even though some may have suspected that the image was just too good to be true.

Well, they were wrong. Ron Howard really was the All-American boy he appeared to be on film. And strangely enough, before I read The Boys, the new biography/memoir by Ron and Clint Howard, I ran across quite a few negative comments saying that The Boys makes for pretty boring reading. Why? Because all the love in his family, their work ethic, and their success in the business became too plain vanilla to hold a reader’s attention for a whole book. They were hoping for some dirt on the Howard family, and they were obviously disappointed not to find much of it there. (I do have to believe that some of the book’s harshest critics quit reading before Clint Howard opened up about his alcohol and drug abuse problems, however.)

The Boys is co-written by the Howard brothers, although Ron, as you would expect, gets the bulk of the page count. That doesn’t, however, mean that Clint does not contribute to the flow of their memoir. In fact, the contrasting views of the two authors combine to tell a family story that neither of them could have come close to telling as accurately or as movingly on their own.

And it’s pretty much all there. Both men cover their individual careers in some detail, offering stories and insights that only they are privy to. Ron hits all the highlights, especially his Andy Griffith Show, Happy Days, American Graffiti, and Music Man highlights. He also explains where, and when, his great desire to become a movie director originated, and how lucky he considers himself to be that he was able, ultimately, to live his true dream. Clint Howard’s work will likely surprise some readers because he has accumulated some 200 movie and television credits since he began acting as a toddler, including, of course, the Gentle Ben television series. Clint whole heartedly embraces his status as a character actor, and it has translated into a career that has served him well for over fifty years now.

Personally, what I find most compelling about The Boys is learning about the personal sacrifices that the Howard parents made so that their boys could find and earn their places in life. Those sacrifices were numerous, and as it turns out, they were well worth it.

Bottom Line: The Boys will be of particular interest to fans of Ron Howard’s acting and movie directing talents but, really, the best thing about the book is the way the boys credit their parents for their success. That Jean and Rance Howard were able to give their sons a relatively normal upbringing while working in an industry that so often destroys families is remarkable. The critics are right: with a couple of exceptions, this is a feel-good book…just what I needed as we close out a year like the one 2021 turned out to be. ( )
  SamSattler | Dec 28, 2021 |
This book was so good! Both Ron and Clint Howard give us an exclusive peek into their lives as child stars. Their upbringing was definitely different than most kids, but they didn't suffer for it. Their parents were exceptional and were actors in their own right. I loved the insider information given about the shows they were involved in and the relationships they formed with people in the business. Learning what it was like attending a PUBLIC school as a child star, and navigating every day challenges of being recognized and judged based on their tv characters was truly interesting. I can't praise this book highly enough. Next I want to listen to it on audio as it is read by them. 5 stars. ( )
  sdbookhound | Dec 22, 2021 |
Actor/director/producer Ron[ny] Howard and his actor brother Clint alternate as memoirists in this enjoyable book about one of Hollywood’s most wholesome families. All four Howards, the boys and their parents, were actors their entire adult lives. Ron, of course, has become one of Hollywood’s most respected directors. In addition, he is known as one of Hollywood’s genuine nice guys. There is a lot of behind the scenes story telling here, and some technical talk compliments of Ron as he transitioned from child actor on the Andy Griffith Show to his role behind the camera. All in all, the book is enjoyable and stays away from the typical tell all scandal sheets we so often read after a celebrity has decided to write a memoir. The closest to that is brother Clint’s admission that for a decade he was addicted to alcohol and drugs, an addiction he has long since beaten. ( )
  DanDiercks | Dec 20, 2021 |
Excellent book by brothers Ron and Clint Howard on their early childhood career and how their parent's supported them - even though they wanted to be actors. The parents (Rance and Jean) were exception in the fact that essentially, they gave up their hopes for an active film career to support their sons. Rance especially was there for Ron during the Andy Griffith days and supported his son through shooting as well as plainly explaining why men drew pictures of their private parts on bathroom walls. Rance then supported Clint during his time on the Gentle Ben series. The parents took a small fee for management and socked the rest of the funds in a savings account/savings bonds so by the time Ron graduated from high school he had 6 figures in the bank (but was not at the top of the list in his high school's Most Likely to Succeed poll). The book is organized where Ron will provide his story/perspective on something and then Clint provides his story/perspective on the same thing or a different topic. It was interesting to read the two perspectives and I thought the book was well written. Most of all I think this is a good book for a parent of any "child star" to read. The boys were always given a choice as to what they wanted to do (Ron in doing films like The Music Man during the Andy Griffith hiatus). They also had a chance to play baseball and basketball and just be boys. This is a loving tribute to their parents and I say well done. ( )
  knahs | Nov 4, 2021 |

Ron Howardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howard, Clintmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Howard, ClintNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howard, Bryce DallasForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howard, Bryce DallasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,187,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible